1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Next thing you know they'll be prescribing cocaine for weight loss

Discussion in 'General' started by SPL170db, Mar 6, 2019.

1. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

2. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

3. Newyork

Newyork Dip Mode

He prob knows that I think he was just saying if they prescribe K for depression why not prescribe coke for weight loss.

Dr. Was prescribing the drug on news this morning and said it makes you feel like things aren’t real, makes you almost numb and out of body....sounds awesome! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Jed

Jed mellifluous

I know people that have gone through treatment cycles with this. It works where everything else failed them including ECT. I also know someone who had ketamine infusions that made her situation worse.

This also is the only treatment on the market that can treat acute suicidal behavior in a hospital. Drugs take up to 8 weeks to reach max efficacy, and even then it's a shot in the dark hoping it's the right solution.

If you've been following the approval process on this it was pushed through approval as fast as possible. The drug has been used in Europe for a few years with a lot of success.

The next thing in the pipes for acute treatment is psilocybin. There's something about the hallucinogenics that causes a sort of reset in the left frontal cortex. The method of action isn't known, but it seems to have a lasting effect at sub trippy levels.

5. L8 Braker

L8 Braker 'Murica

J&J. Where we’ll give you cancer for over 40 years and love our life along the way. BTW, would you like an antidepressant?

6. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Technically Janssen is the maker. J&J is the US marketer.

7. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

I remember seeing an article about ecstasy being used to treat PTSD. If I remember correctly, the drug was originally used during cognitive therapy sesssions, but ended up as a party drug.

8. brex

brex Well-Known Member

"However, esketamine did not always statistically outperform placebos in trials, and appeared to be less effective in people 65 and older, per the Times. There is also the potential for abuse."

The FDA is pathetic.

Phl218 likes this.
  9. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

More specifically MDMA. They’ve actually had inpressive results, but I believe the protocol involves administering one dose, then interviewing, observing, and guiding the subject. It’s not like they send you home with pockets full of Molly.

I’m not sure about the history of the drug though.

SpeedyE and Phl218 like this.
  10. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I wonder if they'll turn on the strobes and neon lights and play some house music in the Dr.'s office as they're administering it :D :D :D

JBraun and Phl218 like this.
  11. Phl218

Phl218 .

shrooms is the answer.

no need for special k and MDMA

12. Phl218

Phl218 .

yeah, like, hey, let's take a druggie drug, make it a spray , then sell it legally.
    what else comes to mind, yeah, opioids.

13. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

The Beckley Foundation did an small but encouraging study on this that you may have read. The results were pretty profound both in fMRI and reported results.

I feel like the doors need to open and that the "drug" needs to be reclassified so more research can be done. There's a pretty big movement to legalize here in CA, but the emphasis is on recreational use. There are plenty of people lobbying to bring mushrooms into the same category as recreational cannabis and that terrifies me. It's a very powerful compound and I think if you open the floodgates and allow people to walk out of a store with a bag of strong psychedelics, you'll have a major problem on your hands.

I'll risk getting roasted for this, but I've personally experienced transformative and undeniable results with psilocybin. It legitimately altered my way of looking at nearly everything, and I use that perspective almost daily to positive results. That's only my personal experience, but I suspect that it could point to a genuine cure for mental illnesses through those same mechanisms. It's also important to understand that the drug presumably acts differently in my healthy brain than it would in the brain of someone suffering from depression. I'm sure giving a depressed person a few grams of shrooms and slapping them on the ass is probably not responsible protocol...

SuddenBraking, SpeedyE and R1Racer99 like this.
  14. eppy01f4i

eppy01f4i Well-Known Member

They are also doing Psilocybin studies on end-stage cancer patients.

https://maps.org/news/multimedia-library/3012-how-psychedelic-drugs-can-help-patients-face-death

SpeedyE likes this.
  15. Phl218

Phl218 .

A FRIEND stated that the last time he took shrooms (at a Goa Party following the Street Parade in Zurich back in 1999), he came to substantial realizations about the non-existing limitations of what one can achieve in life. all lying under a 6 ft diameter disco ball, staring up in there and having several thousand people going nuts around him.
    heard that that said FRIEND wants to go back to that state of mind to reiterate.

16. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

When I first read the article I thought the name of the new drug was a jokingly mashup of Ketamine and Esketit

17. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Your friend may also agree that one unique contrast to that experience as it compares to other mind altering substances is that you don’t necessarily want to go back there right away. It’s like you asked a question, got the answer, and have no need to ask the question again for a while.

It makes sense that after the passing of time he may not remember the answer anymore or might want to ask a different question...

18. Jed

Jed mellifluous

I was in the hospital for 9 days with MRSA pneumonia in '99. I had a number of procedures done under various anesthesia and after I got out and back on me feet everything felt very different. I was more compassionate and less judgmental than ever before. The world was a better place and I was more accepting of pretty much everything the way it was.

I don't know it it was the anesthetics or the pretty damn near death experience. The doc said I had about 48 hours to live if I hadn't come in when I did. But I think it was the anesthetics looking back on it.

SpeedyE and Phl218 like this.
  19. R Acree

R Acree Banned

It would work.:D

20. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Why, because they followed their own approval process? o_O