1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High mileage electric bikes and cars coming soon

Discussion in 'General' started by cortezmachine, Jul 13, 2014.

1. Trunxgp1224

Trunxgp1224 Well-Known Member

I bought my Nissan leaf New for $13,500 after dealer rebates and incentives, drove it for 5 months and sold it for around $16,000.

I bought the Tesla used for $49K in late 2017 so I didn't receive any rebates or incentives, all that government shit applies to brand new cars. And actually I wouldn't have gotten the tax credit anyway because I don't make enough money, the same car with options and mileage today would be around 43-45K.

I did the math a few posts back, the Civic would have cost me about $2,000/yr extra in just fuel more than the Tesla, and about $2,500/yr in total. A civic with similar options would be 25-$27K although it's a smaller car and doesn't offer things like autopilot, which was a $5k option forced by Tesla and I actually didn't want. Either way, ignoring that stuff, to make up the 24K difference in the Civic and Telsa would take 9.6 years in which time I'll have driven over 250K miles. The Honda powertrain warranty is 5yr/60k and the Tesla is 8yr/Unlimited. So IF something happened to either car one would be covered for nearly that whole time and one would be covered for 2 years with my mileage.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:crackup: How many tires, batteries and such will you go through in 250k vs a Civic?

3. Trunxgp1224

For reference the Nio E9 makes about 1350HP with a motor in each wheel to allow torque steering and other shit. 0-60 in 2.6, and top speed of 194mph and I think 240 miles of range. $1.2million. I think they also set some record on the ring.

Tesla Roadster- Unknown power specs but a motor on each rear wheel, and one on the front axle. 0-60 is 1.9s and top speed of "over 250mph" 620mile range. $200,000

Well I saved even more around town with my $13,000 electric vehicle but it didn't have the capability to travel cross country, so I was still driving the truck 10-15,000 miles a year. I have the truck. I need the truck. But I don't need the truck everyday. So, do I keep using the truck or buy something else that can same me money? the math said, buy something else, so I bought a Nissan Leaf.

4. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

No one has ever saved a nickel buying shit.

5. Trunxgp1224

Not sure what you mean. It uses tires just like a civic or any other car, I don't need high performance tires or anything like that, I put what ever from discount tire that works. are we talking about the high voltage battery in the Tesla? I'll still have the same battery after 250K. Cars that are already in that mileage range are seeing 6-10% degradation and they seemed to have mostly leveled off after 80-100K. The batteries have been tested to 500K-1million miles depending on which battery pack and chemistry you're talking about. I'm pretty sure that mine is the 500K one before losing 15-20% even then, it would still work. Lets assume I only make the 500K in that time I would have saved over $100K in fuel compared to my truck at todays prices and $37,000 in fuel compared to the civic. If any of them actually lasted to 500K

6. Trunxgp1224

You're absolutely correct, I am however saving $6,000/yr not buying so much fuel for the truck, and I'm saving $2,000/yr more then if I had bought a civic or similar for my daily driver.

7. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

No...you are averaging that over the number of years it takes to make up for the purchase of the vehicle. Hopefully it is reliable for a long enough period for you to get to the ROI before it starts requiring expensive battery maintenance or has some hard to diagnose electrical issue that ends up costing thousands of dollars in diagnostic time, labor and parts to resolve but just keep saying you are saving money and sooner or later someone might believe it.

8. Trunxgp1224

Well I've driven the car 30,000 miles since I got it, that's almost $7,000 in fuel saved in 15 months. I would have spent $400 in oil changes, $100 in fuel filters, 3/5- 3/4 of the tires which would be about $800, 3/4 of a trans service would be $100. so I'm up to $8,400. At this rate I'm break even in less than 6 years and I've already had the Truck 13 so If I keep the car the same time it'll literally put money back in my pocket.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yet all those savings are compared to a full size truck :crackup:

10. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

For a while there I wasn't sure if you were a pretty good AI bot or a really dumb human. Thanks for clearing it up.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  11. Chris

Chris Keepin' it old school

It's Elon Musk.

12. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Nah, *that* guy knows how to sell.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

14. Trunxgp1224

Because I already have the truck and need the truck, seriously, what the fuck are you not understanding about this? I have a truck and need the truck, but not every day, why would I get another truck as a daily driver to replace a truck I already have? That's the entire point of a daily is to not spend all that money driving the truck, I'm not sure how else to make it clear that the truck isn't going away because it's needed, but not for commuting and road trips.

I'd really like to hear what daily driver you think I should be comparing the vehicle I already have to. I also gave you the numbers multiple times comparing a car to the car, or do you casually gloss over that?

15. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

I paid 13K for new focus, you paid 49 for what must have been a used tesla. Figuring 2.5K per year for gas and oil changes it would take me about 14 years to have spent the same amount of money. I drove a civic when I was looking at cars last time, it wasn't worth the extra cost. Manual transmission, leather interior, can fit my road bicycle inside, has over 100K, I'd buy another based on driving this one, it gets me to work and back just fine.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I understand it - you're the one with major issues here. You keep touting the ev as if it's some great and wonderful thing full of HUGE savings - well no shit compared to a full sized truck any econo box type vehicle is HUGE savings.

You've upped the cost figures for the Civic and gloss over costs on the Tesla. There is no point in bothering with responding to that, more effort to get real figures than it's worth to me. The truck shit though is so funny and beyond ridiculous I can't help myself but to point it out and it takes no effort whatsoever :D

Quite simply ANY econo box would have saved you a ton over the truck. Any of them. So saying the ev is better is well, a no shit kind of moment. Just like my Hyper is way more economical than my Tahoe, duh, of course it is. Both are more economical than the RV - and guess what I use the RV and keep it because it's useful, I don't daily drive it because I have other vehicles that are better. Weird shit I know. However I don't go on and on about how much better they are than the RV to prove a point about how good they are because well, no shit, of course they are better than the RV for daily driving.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

But you can't compare those! How about your F350 dually? :D

18. Trunxgp1224

Not sure what I'm trying to sell, I'm saving nearly $7,000/yr. Even if I had a civc or whatever I'd be saving $2,000/yr obviously not everyone drive 25-30K miles a year do they won't see those kind of numbers.

Great, you did the math, you wouldn't plan on keeping a car 14 years, so it doesn't work for you, the math more than works out for me.

19. Trunxgp1224

And I also did the numbers compared to the civic soooo it saves even more. What costs did I up on the civic and gloss over on the Tesla or any other EV?

The whole reason I compared my truck when looking for a replacement daily is because the truck is what I already had, so yes I'm going to compare what I have to what I'm looking at. I can't figure out why you're laughing at me using the vehicle I had and comparing it to every other vehicle available when making a decision.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:crackup:

I truly wonder what you're trying to justify and who you're justifying it to because this is hilarious.

Just for fun - comparing them is fine. Comparing them and using that to justify how much better an EV is to a gas engine is not. You don't use a 10mm wrench in comparison to a phillips head saying how much better the screwdriver is at removing screws...