1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buell Fuell

Discussion in 'General' started by Steeltoe, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

Your assessments of each thing you mentioned are all subjective. The truism is that you've done none of those things, and feel qualified to pass judgement on other people's work or preferences. Credit to all who endeavor to create, in whatever format that takes. Beats the hell out of all the people who's only creation is negativity. And to all those who would knock someone for continuing to try, despite failing (though I would say the last iteration of EBR was an impressive accomplishment), should NASA have quit after Apollo 1? Oh wait.....the Earth is flat. Nevermind.

2. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Oddly enough, that was the general gist of my conversation.

Based on your criteria, no one can have an opinion on anything unless they have or are currently doing it (and at a very high level, at that) better than the subject of your opinion.

I assume you have, at some point, seen a movie and have formed an opinion of said movie. Positive or negative, regardless, I doubt you meet your own criteria to form an opinion.

Also, have you ever seen a football stadium filled with former NFL players as fans? Me neither.

Based on your previous posts, I take it you're an MMA guy. Wouldn't it suck if you had to beat up Conor McGregor before you were allowed to have an opinion of him in regards to his upcoming whatever it is that MMA guys do?

Instead, you form an educated opinion based on what you know at your level and your particular set of likes and dislikes. Granted, not all opinions are educated, but we all try in our own way, don't we?

:flag:

scottn, Motofun352, JBowen33 and 2 others like this.
  3. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

:stupid:

4. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

We can obviously agree that everybody is entitled to an opinion. I'm not saying that people can't have a preference for one brand or another, nor am I saying that you can't criticize the design of a motorcycle. The general tone here with regard to Buell is way beyond that.

If tell me that you feel the perimeter braking system is inferior to conventional rotors on a racing motorcycle, fine. That's very different than saying Erik Buell is a moron who should quit and leave the motorcycle industry forever.

You can say that Conor McGregor needs to work on his wrestling, and nobody could argue, but if you called him a pussy and suggested that he should never fight again, you'd sound stupid.

I've never owned a Buell, but I'm impressed with what Erik Buell has done in the sport, and in the industry. I just don't understand the hate. Find me someone else who has accomplished what he has in a lifetime. I'll wait.

5. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Should have just gone with this:beer:

A much more succinct version of what I was trying to say.

6. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Not sure what is more ironic the name or his return

7. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Rush does not suck

8. Waterboy

Waterboy Rain Man

I'll never bag on a guy for refusing to give up, good on him...
    I just don't get how he gets people to give him the $$$ to do it as many times as he has. Must be one hell of a salesman for sure.

And yes, RUSH SUCKS

cpettit, sdg, JBowen33 and 1 other person like this.
  9. JBowen33

JBowen33 Only fast on Facebook

Here’s a twist on all this electric stuff... is it really a good time for this venture for him into electric? I think all of us agree the future is electric but who is going to buy these things right now? I’m in my late twenties and have zero desire too and I don’t know many people who are younger and can afford 20,000 dollars for a new motorcycle. I also don’t know anyone older wanting to buy electric.

I’m talking about street bikes not dirt bikes. Dirt bike electric has a huge appeal as in my opinion noise is a huge factor deterring and closing local off road riding spots.

Also before anyone jumps down my throat I have zero facts other then my own observations and just starting a conversation on this topic...

Kyle Brosius likes this.
  10. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

Freddie Roach can't box...

11. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

If any of you Negative Nellys had bothered to read the article, these bikes are not targeted at you. These are clearly intended to be urban vehicles that will get you from point A to B within the constraints of city living. The press release makes note of the fact that the urban environment has a sufficiency of available charging spots, which kind of illustrates the intended market. These are the equivalent scooters, with relatively low HP and some internal storage for hipster stuff. I got the impression that these are also targeted at a European market and may do very well. The price seems within reason for what it is and the market it is looking to penetrate.
    I think it is cool, but I have no use for it and never will.had an acquaintance with Erik Buell going back almost 40 years when he was just a racer and we were at Blackhawk and IRP in the pits, my brother worked for him when he was just starting with the Barton square 4, and I worked at the shop, Competition Cycle in Milwaukee, where he bought Castrol R.
    I have never sat down and visited or really said more than hi, but he never came across as very personable or friendly, just always busy and focused. That doesn't make him a dick or bad person. His wife at the time, Mary Jo, was very nice, he sent her to pick up Castrol R sometimes.
    So, lay off him, unless you can do better.

Rdrace42 and YamahaRick like this.
  12. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Even when he throws a dolly through a window into a bus full of people......? :D

13. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Well, even the model T wasn't Henry's first attempt....

14. rcarson15

rcarson15 Well-Known Member

Neither can Pico :D

15. t500racer

t500racer Never Fails To Fail

The pioneers always take the arrows...or some shit like that.

16. Phl218

Phl218 .

perfect example of the engineer/designer who's insisting on pushing odd concepts into the market with out covering all business basics.

who's gonna buy that ugly toaster when there are way cooler looking and possibly better-ranging e-motorbikes out there...

cav115 likes this.
  17. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

If it's priced right the bearded hipsters will buy them. Goofy looking rear wheel cover aside I don't see anything that isn't designed to be functional on it.

18. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

The world would be a pretty boring place if we all just did the same thing......

I like Erik. Wish him well on this new venture.

jksoft likes this.
  19. Phl218

Phl218 .

well, i say that wearing italian designer sunglasses ;)

20. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I never thought he was a bad designer, pretty much every iteration of Buell machines had some appeal. I mainly question his business decisions- it can't be 100% bad luck or getting in bed with the wrong people.