1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SSR70 for a 3 year old advice

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by JBowen33, Mar 2, 2019.

1. JBowen33

JBowen33 Only fast on Facebook

I’m looking for a little advice. I have a 3 1/2 year I want to get into riding. I’ve been looking for a crf50/ ttr 50 and even been open to a pw50 used but in my area they still want 1000 plus dollars for a 15-20 year bike that’s been beat on.

Does anyone have experience with the SSR 70cc with the training wheels?

2. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Sounds a little early if you ask me. I got my son his TTR50 for his 5th bda with the training wheel kit, and even then honestly it may have been a bit soon.

Can he ride a bicycle? If not, get a strider and let him or her work that for a while to gain balance first.

Age doesn't matter much on a 50...since they haven't really changed much in 20 years is my take on it. You can get a used one cheaper than new...but nobody's going to
    give it away.

You want your kid to play....you're gonna pay is my experience.

3. JBowen33

Well that’s the thing he does awesome with his Stryder bike to the point I feel comfortable enough putting him on a motorcycle. I was riding at his age.

I know they haven’t changed the 50s ever but my point being if I’m spending a grand for a used one that probably has never been maintenanced I’ll spend the couple hundred more and just get him a brand new one and then sell it for a grand 10 years later after I get the money out of it.

My concern is that I don’t want to spend 1800 bucks on a brand new one and he hates it or isn’t into it and then try to sell a brand new 50 because I have zero use for it if he doesn’t use it.

An SSR dealer by me has the 70cc with training wheels for 699. I’m just looking for alittle guidance if the SSRs are total junk and not even worth it. If he likes riding and gets into the road or dirt aspect after he “learns” I have no issue buying him a better bike.

4. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

I have a TTR50 that I got for my girls (4 and 6) a year ago that they're not ready for - you're more than welcome to borrow that for a bit and see if he's into it and/or ready for it.

JBowen33 likes this.
  5. StaccatoFan

It's a bit of a gamble to spend money like this on something for your kids. It is what it is, and you have to be willing to take that chance.

Does your son WANT IT or are you just wanting him to ride?

If you're doing it because you want him to ride, this isn't a recipe for success.

Mine asked for a bike for his 5th bday. Even then, and it may also apply to your kid(s) that he truly didn't have much use for it until I got a bike to ride with him (CRF150).
    Once he could ride a bicycle, taking the training wheels off was an exercise in my patience, too. Making the conversion to riding and having to balance the bike wasn't
    easy for Alex...but he eventually got what he needed to do, and he got pretty good riding around the back yard with me.

Then it was fun....even more so when he found out one of his school buddies rode too...then it was ON every weekend in some empty property we ride in behind my son's
    grandparents house.

Then we went to NJMP and watched the MiniGP demos during the MA weekends for two years...he couldn't take his eyes off the kids. So I offered to let him do the camp.
    Now, he's all about it. He loves racing with the other Spec 50 kids, then running around the NJMP paddock at night playing hide and seek with all the other kids.

If SuddenBraking had 2 50's for his kids, I'd guess that would increase his kid's desire to ride...they could "play" together riding around.

Like everything else with kids...it takes patience and it evolves in it's own time. You may have been riding at 3 and 1/2...but this is his journey, and it has his timeline.

TurboBlew likes this.
  6. StaccatoFan

The SSR70 may be cheaper, but it's not something that can be raced in MiniGP if that is the direction your son eventually takes with his riding.
    So you'd be out $700 for the SSR, then you'd have to spend additional money on a 50 so he could race MiniGP. So, my two cents.....short term savings
    may lead to more money being spent later and thus greater costs overall.

If your son does eventually want to go the MiniGP route, I'll have gloves, leathers, and boots more than likely for sale pretty cheap that Alex has outgrown
    during his racing career. Holding onto his old gear isn't something I plan on doing...would rather it go to some young person starting out to help the parents
    save a buck or two.

But the first set of knee sliders...with that first little scuff...I'm keeping those forever.

7. Photo

Photo Well-Known Member

8. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

I have a nice CRF50 in Nashville area. Can't believe I'm doing this but it's yours for $700.

9. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

The SSR70 seems a big bike for a 3.5 yr old, even with training wheels. This is so coincidental as I was, just yesterday, bike shopping for my daughter. My daughter's older, and 4ft 8in tall but she hasn't been on a two-wheeled anything for at least 4 yrs. The CRF50F and SSR70 were both too small, of course.

I agree with D-Zum. YMMV with your son's ability and disposition, even if we're still talking about "two wheels" here. As a parent, you probably already know this. Does your child's mother feel he's ready?

D-Zum, +1 on this. Not knee sliders in my case, but I have a small stash of "firsts" myself. :)

Gawd, this is so true. As I was bike shopping for my daughter, I had to keep my biases in check. Were it not for the salesperson being straightforward, I would have my daughter on a 50cc; something she immediately detested as "embarassing" to be seen on. Go figure. The salesperson recommended the 110 which I thought was too heavy. The salesperson then pulled the bike out of its row, laid it down, gave my daughter pointers on how to pick it up. She did it with one hand (to spite me, I'm sure). So, there's that.

This... I've been looking to borrow. That plus, every time I cruise the back roads or the sticks, I see mini bikes for sale in people's front yards. Go cheap, real cheap or borrow to see if your son has a knack for riding motorcycles. It'll take time and money seems to be a concern, rightly so.

Good luck!

BigBird and JBowen33 like this.
  10. JBowen33

Well that’s the thing he can’t reach the ground but he is big for his age and he can reach the foot pegs and have his legs slightly bent.

I think I am going to borrow and see how that goes and make the choice. Unfortunately there is snow on the ground where I live so not much riding going to happen in the next month or so

11. StaccatoFan

I think I tossed my training wheel kit when Alex learned to ride without them...but I'll have to look in my garage..and if I can find it, you can have it if you come get it.

It's for a TTR50. Even though he can balance a stryder, he may feel a little more confident just rolling around on it with this kit for a while first.

Also, don't put him in 1st gear when he's starting...use 2nd or maybe 3rd.

Most of the kids in MiniGP are just riding around in 3rd gear. Like Alex was wearing MX boots for last season, so his ankles weren't strong enough to flex the boot and shift the bike. That's something else that will also come all in it's due time.

JBowen33 likes this.
  12. SpeedWerks Racing

SpeedWerks Racing Well-Known Member

this...

13. JBowen33

So I bit the bullet and got my son a CRF50 it’s an 04 that imo, is pretty clean. I’m planning on changing the oil,plug,
    service the air filter etc. the carb is new as the guy who sold it to me said he replaced the carb with an OEM one due to when he got it the carb was gunked up. Bike seems to run fairly well.

Can anyone suggest some stuff to look over or/things preventive stuff to do on this thing other then the obvious . Thanks

BigBird likes this.
  14. StaccatoFan

Tire pressure?

They’re pretty simple

JBowen33 likes this.
  15. JBowen33

I kinda figured they were super simple. I think the rear shock could use a little love but I’m going to wait to get that all sorted if/when he starts mini gp. I feel like it’s kinda silly at this point.

16. StaccatoFan

I don't know that anyone does any suspension mods on a 50 at NJMiniGP...in fact I know the rules there and the rules at most other tracks call for stock rear shock.
    They want the kids on the track having fun at minimal costs to the parents. This shit costs plenty as it is...they're kids. Save your shock money for the next set of boots, gloves, or
    leathers after the next growth spurt.

Put his fav number on the plate
    Drill and safety wire the drain bolt and dip stick
    Put on a set of Mitas tires
    Move the kill switch so they cannot hit the kill at the start of the race (MADE THAT MISTAKE....Yep...I'm that guy).
    Have a five hour energy drink and use the empty as a catch bottle

Bring his bicycle/razor/skateboard because they're like a little pack in the pits with their assorted modes of transportation riding around and just being kids all day.
    It's quite fun to watch.

Spend the money to sign him up for the 3 day camp at NJMiniGP and let Ryan, Nathan and the other coaches work with your kid for a couple days getting them acclimated to the
    track and doing drills that help build bike control, then let him become part of the pack of kids in the evening at the clubhouse pool splashing around having fun and back at he pits playing HideNSeek till usually about 10pm.

Then if your child likes it, enjoys the end of the second day mock race, and the 3rd open practice day...ask if your progeny wants to actually go racing.

He will.

BigBird and JBowen33 like this.
  17. JBowen33

I looked into minigp and spoke to Nat about it a few times.

I was talking about the spring seems shot in the back as in needs to be replaced. I kinda figured exactly what you said that they aren’t going fast enough for the suspension to make a difference

18. StaccatoFan

Springs aren’t really prone to going bad as far as I know. Define in more detail what you speak of.

I could see the valves and internals like bushings maybe needing replacing.