1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My cousin is Freshman All American

Discussion in 'General' started by Steeltoe, Jun 7, 2013.

1. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Ain't that the truth!

My cousins cousin was a really good athlete in HS, he was a talented baseball pitcher and basketball player in HS (NNJ) back in '79/'80, he was scouted by the Phillies and then a scout for a Pro team in Italy. Since he didn't want to risk getting lost n forgotten in the minors he decided to move to Italy and wound up playing BOTH sports professionally. I don't really know that side of his family so I never really kept up with his career but remember the excitement that fills a family when someone makes that level of game play.

Steeltoe likes this.
  2. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Same here. I was a nobody in both Baseball and Hockey (destined for the beer leagues :)), but have played with a couple guys that have made it in each (it's in the water around here....), and many more who've played in the minors and semi pro around the world. Cracking the majors in any sport (racing included) is as much about luck and timing is it is about talent, work ethic, and health.

I wish your cousin all the luck and timing I can. He's got the talent, work ethic, and hopefully stays strong and healthy to make the show.

3. brex

brex Well-Known Member

One of my neighbors spent time in the Yankees, Dodgers and Braves organizations, including a handful of major starts. He was a multi time All Star in the minors, won home run derbies in the various minor leagues. But still never got a full time major slot with those organizations.
    I'm not much of a baseball fan, but talking with him I now realize just how hard it is to break into even the minors, let alone get called up to the majors and stay there.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Roadtrip!

5. Kolbe

Kolbe Well-Known Member

His name isn't Crash Davis by chance is it? :D

t11ravis likes this.
  6. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Honestly, I dunno what more they need to call this boy up. https://www.milb.com/chattanooga/news/davis-homers-in-lookouts-loss/c-282756924

"Six extra-base hits have propelled Biloxi to a 6-3 victory of the Chattanooga Lookouts on Sunday afternoon at AT&T Field. Jaylin Davis hit a two-run bomb in the fourth inning, his first Double-A home run after joining the Lookouts on Thursday."

Literally shows up and knocks it right out. Come on Twins. CALL HIM UP!

7. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Just send the Twins a Map to Chattanooga....Im just sayin...maybe they cant find it...you know...on a map

Cannoli and Steeltoe like this.
  8. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

And boom go that dynamite!

[​IMG]

BigBird and Boman Forklift like this.
  9. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Ok, he is Designated Hitter tonight!

What is that?

Yzasserina likes this.
  10. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

Just in case you're not joking... He doesn't play in the field, just bats, usually for the pitcher.

Steeltoe likes this.
  11. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Thanks! Is that good? I googled it but I guess I'm wondering is it an important position. I don't know much baseball :(

12. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

It usually means he can hit well. In MLB it's usually reserved for the mashers that can still rake, but are too old to move fast enough in the field. In MiLB it's usually the kid they want to get more at bats for.

Steeltoe likes this.
  13. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Kinda what I was thinking. Thanks!

14. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

15. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

SpeedyE, Kolbe, Clay and 1 other person like this.
  16. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

Doing that well in AA is pretty dang good. Hoping he continues making progress!

Steeltoe likes this.
  17. Kolbe

Kolbe Well-Known Member

The way the twins are playing I wouldn't be surprised to see him at spring training next year.

18. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Looks like he’s playing here in Pensacola this season.
    Let me know if you come to see him play Toe, I usually make a few games a year.

Steeltoe and BigBird like this.
  19. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Absolutely!

20. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

You guys can go bug Robby Bobby as well