1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

We're the Meatmen and you suck!

Discussion in 'General' started by Dave K, Feb 27, 2019.

1. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

And learn how to make your own bbq sauce. I’ve got a bourbon bbq, blueberry habanero and strawberry ghost that gets a regular rotation at my place.

2. crusty9r

crusty9r Human Lawn Dart

I'm pretty sure I'd walk away from that thing while lighting my grill and come back to find my grill lit and my porch lit. I can't be trusted.

3. wrx_02

wrx_02 Well-Known Member

I like the torch type lighters but before I knew about them I just bought a $10 coil starter at Walmart for my Egg. Scrap out the ash from the last cook, refill to top if smoking something, jam that coil starter in the corner with the vents open and I come back in 10 mins to remove it. Then throw my wood chunks on and set the vents to let it get stable.
    I was really surprised how easy it works.

crusty9r likes this.
  4. Riders Discount

Riders Discount 866-931-6644 ext 817

^^^^This, however if you don't want to use one of the lighting devices you can drop a few cotton balls soaked in 90% alcohol into the charcoal and light them with your lighter (clean burning with no added taste like lighter fluid). I normally crack a beer and wait for it to get rolling which is 10 minutes or so.

wrx_02 likes this.
  5. wrx_02

wrx_02 Well-Known Member

Olive Oil works also, good for when camping

speedluvn and crusty9r like this.
  6. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

I have just used the little starter squares (either BGE or a generic brand) since I got my first Egg 15 years ago. No extension cords, nothing to forget to turn off. Of course, you also don't have a flamethrower to play with....

crusty9r likes this.
  7. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I'm more likely to have alcohol with me than olive oil

8. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Suck it purists... I've got ribs in the sous vide right now, will be finished in the oven for dinner tonight.

Mongo- I've yet to do a brisket in the "hot tub"... what temp and time do you like?

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

BBQ is low and slow with smoke. The heat source doesn't matter the results do.

10. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

For me its the process involved with cooking low and slow with charcoal. Maintaining that low temperature for hours. Is it a chore, you bet but a welcomed chore. A gas grill simplifies the process but at the same time would lessen some of the satisfaction I derive from the end product.

pjzocc likes this.
  11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I usually stop after the meat hits 140. However at Barber I did add more wood throughout the morning just to make the paddock smell good :D

pjzocc likes this.
  12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Best ribs I've done yet were exactly that. I'd prefer some smoke flavor so I'll finish them in the smoker next time but damned if sous vide then oven isn't amazing.

For most everything sous vide I've been defaulting to Kenji Lopez-Alts site. Has yet to steer me wrong and I love that he experiments with it all exactly as I would if I had the time and money for supplies. https://www.seriouseats.com/2016/08...de-sous-vide-barbecue-smoked-bbq-brisket.html

I did it at 155 for 36 then in the fridge to Barber then in the smoker for about 3 hours to warm up and get some bark. I had kicked the smoker temp up a little too much and the bark got thicker than I like but not a single person said anything about it so they didn't notice or care. It disappeared quick too, I'm glad I grabbed a bite when slicing it.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Totally understand that. I'm more end result than process although I usually wind up cooking all day anyway making other dishes to go with it. I just can't spend all my time at the smoker since I'll be cooking everything.

14. speedluvn

I'll agree. My issue is that a gas grill simplifies the process. Theres a certain gratification that I derive from preparing a peice of meat over a charcoal ;) heat source.
    I understand that not everyone seeks out that process. (Am I no way conceding my point.)

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That part is all personal preference. Hell I'd love to just hang out all day/night drinking beer and bs'ing and cooking meat. That's what I did at Barber, even slept outside in a comfy chair so the alarm wouldn't wake the boss if the temp dropped or raised too much and that was propane :D I just can't do that as easily at home.

16. speedluvn

There are situations where propane is warranted.

17. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

Why are you trying to grill a steak on a smoker? Also with the pizza oven attachment mine makes phenomenal pizzas and using the same attachment I can sear the hell out of a steak.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I really need to play more with the searing grill on the side of my gas grill. I keep wishing it was a burner so I could sear in the cast iron outdoors but totally ignore it is supposedly just for searing things.

19. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

recipes? blueberry habenero and strawberry ghost sound phenomenal, especially after just starting my chili peppers germinating this week.

20. Pants Romano

Pants Romano Well-Known Member

Dave, get an egg and you'll never go back to gas grills. I use the Akorn, and it works great. Can go low for pork shoulders, medium for whole chickens and turkeys, and high for beef. It has a bit of a learning curve, but once you have it down, it's easy to get the correct temp and hold it there.

For charcoal I like Royal Oak lump (not briquettes) but have used other lump charcoals with just fine results.

I use hickory chips and chunks a lot for pork and chicken, mesquite for beef.

One item that has not been mentioned but is really, really important is a dual probe thermometer. I like this one: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B014DAVHSQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 but you can spend less or more depending. You NEED to know the grill temp and your meat temp. You will also want to try to keep the from opening and closing the grill a bunch. Keeping the lid closed keeps temps consistent.