1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

We're the Meatmen and you suck!

Discussion in 'General' started by Dave K, Feb 27, 2019.

1. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

All the cool kids are doing sous vide, then 2 hours on a BGE with all the eggcessories using artisanal cherry wood, then finishing with a 144 minute faux cambro.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  2. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I have the strong feeling DaveK has no interest in any of this and is kicking back saying "dance puppets!"

3. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Luckily you’re not in my BBQ Jurisdiction or I'd have your BBQ Man-Card revoked for an indefinite period. :Poke:

charcoal rules :clap:

rd49 likes this.
  4. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

5. crusty9r

crusty9r Human Lawn Dart

6. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

If ya ain't got time for a simple chimney, ya ain't got time for charcoal.....

speedluvn likes this.
  7. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Probably the same sites I learned from. You are welcome :D

8. crusty9r

crusty9r Human Lawn Dart

If you had a BGE, you would understand why your comment is ignorant.

9. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Ya, I've only got a webber kettle, so I've got easy access. I don't have to tear down 19 levels of grills and heat deflectors to get to the 3 briquettes of charcoal needed to smoke a 220 for 14 hours....:) (just jealousy talking, I want an egg bad).

10. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Agreed.

11. speedluvn

Please explain. o_O

12. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

Dobr pretty much hit it on the head. My progression has been Weber Kettle (still use for grilling, rotisserie and short hot smokes), Bradley Electric which worked OK, Grilla Grill Silverback pellet grill which has been really good for butts, brisket, jerky, ribs, and bacon. And now I just picked up a old full height food service holding cabinet which I’m converting to a cold smoker using its heating element plus I’ll add a pellet pooper for hotter smokes. My main smoking is home cured bacon, sausage and butts. I also do a lot of cooks on my buddies stick burner and it turns out excellent food but after 14 hours we’re usually too drunk or tired to really enjoy the food.

My recommendation would be a pellet grill for you. They’re easy enough that I can start mine at 2am put on butts or brisket never open the door and 12-14 hours later open it up to perfect food.

Amazingribs website is a good place to start with pretty solid info. There’s a lot of dumbasses out there on TwoFace and the Intergores who have NO clue what they’re doing. Even worse if you get into curing.

A couple of things that will make you seem like a guru are a good two probe thermometer and a good basic pork rub. A good two (or more) probe thermometer is an absolute must have. I use a ThermoWorks Smoke and my buddy runs a Fireboard both work very well. Amazingribs Memphis Dust is a good starting point for a rub and if I make sauce I riff on his Kansas City sauce. Lots of compliments. I have another sauce recipe for a mustard vinegar that even non Que people love. I very rarely sauce my own food.

After you buy one and get a couple of butts done very seriously consider making homemade bacon. People will think you’re a god and it’s easier to make than anything I’ve previously mentioned.

13. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

I do jerky on a pellet, and bacon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

14. crusty9r

crusty9r Human Lawn Dart

Stay with me, it will get difficult.

Step 1. Open BGE lid and lower vent
    Step 2. Remove grill surface
    Step 3. Add lump charcoal if needed to the BGE. On normal shut downs, there will be unconsumed charcoal even though you may have been running at 500°f at shut down. This is why the chimney would be difficult to use.
    Step 4. Aim eggnitor type device at charcoal at the manufacturers prescribed distance from the charcoal and hold the on button to light the charcoal. This will take less than three minutes. Then remove eggnitor device and place in a safe area. I have used the electric branding iron type lighters and found they can take 3-4 times as long to light but can still be running at grilling temps in less than ten minutes.
    Step 5. Replace grill surface.
    Step 6. Close lid and open upper vent.
    Step 7. Wait until BGE is at desired temp and adjust vents to maintain desired temp. Experience will have you setting this easily.
    Step 8. Cook.
    Step 9. When you are finished cooking, close all vents and this will snuff the fire due to lack of oxygen. This will preserve unspent fuel for next use.

I can be running at >650°f in less than ten minutes with quality(BGE/Komodo big block) lump charcoal. The chimney doesn't really fit because you would have to dig out the used charcoal from the grill to light it. Like others have said, sometimes you don't have to add more to cook.

15. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

image000000_19.jpg image000000_20.jpg Gotta be honest, this thread lacks pics!
    Four racks dry rubbed. Turned out OK for the first swing at it. Pork shoulder up this weekend.

crusty9r likes this.
  16. speedluvn

17. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

crusty9r likes this.
  18. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

Agreed 100% if you’re dropping it into the cambro. I will crutch it to get through the stall, and sometimes will drop some sangria or beer into the crutch for a little different flavor. It’s subtle but it it’s a nice touch.

sdiver likes this.
  19. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

The meat don’t know the difference, and it only picks up the smoke for the first 3 or 4 hours anyways. I don’t roll smoke for 12-14 hours. I’ll spritz with Apple juice for the last hour and roll again (moist meat picks up more smoke flavor) but that’s sometimes just for show. And fruit wood can be acidic and can draw a bitter taste sometimes if you don’t keep the airflow proper.

For beginners, I usually advise they roll it for four hours.

20. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

“faux cambro” is less words.

Duh.