1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dirt bikes

Discussion in 'General' started by Wheel Bearing, Oct 27, 2015.

Tags:
  1. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

spare yourself the "toilet seat" around your neck and just ride within your limits...
    Roadracing low side wrecks at 100 mph are a slip n slide compared to a big boy jump wreck...

aint enough gear in the world to help a man 3 gear pinned lined up wrong(anything 125CC or over((2 smoke)) )

get mx boots and really good knee pads... kidney belt if you like booze lol

2. Critter

Critter Registered

PM Sent!

3. Critter

Critter Registered

I have a WR250F I am willing to part with

4. JTRC51

JTRC51 El Speedy Gonzalez

location and details?

5. Critter

Critter Registered

PM sent it is in Charlotte NC

6. t500racer

t500racer Never Fails To Fail

For those guys carrying a dirt bike on a hitch carrier, do you use one of those fork saver support braces? I've used one for years hauling in the back of the van, but I will now be hauling two bikes, one on the carrier. I'm wondering if it is safe to use one on the carrier, given that if the support should fall out, the bike is likely going to topple over?

7. On my Jeep if I have the top down I put a couple extra straps to the roll bar from the bike. Top up to the spare tire carrier. Also attach a couple extra to my tow hooks and route them so it takes a bit of load off the carrier and also doesn’t rely on the hitch thingy to stop the bike wobbling as much (even through it does a pretty good job on its own, I’m an engineer so always err on the side of caution)

8. t500racer

t500racer Never Fails To Fail

The thing below is what I'm talking about. Sorry the pic is so big. I've used a hitch carrier for years, but never with one of these fork supports. Wondering what the consensus is?
    [​IMG]

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

What's the point of it?

10. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

What brand carrier and which one are you using with your jeep? I’m in the market for a carrier to haul my dirtbike with a Jeep. Stock sized Rubicon Hard Rock spare wheel and tire on the back. Stock receiver hitch also.

11. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

They are decent and stabilize the bike a bit if you use straps, I have the cam style bike shoes on or in most of my trailers which have worked great forever, best setup is the old trusty pitbull trs.

12. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Keeps the front suspension from compressing too far, while still being able to the it down firmly.

13. renegade17

This is what the majority of my crew has been running with no issue or straps.

Attached Files:

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

How can it compress "too far"? Is this part of the old wives tales about blowing fork seals with tie downs?

TLR67 and XFBO like this.
  15. renegade17

It limits the forks from being cranked way down and prevents them from compressing further when hitting bumps or turning making the bike more stable.

16. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Jake

Just clap it on the front? Tie downs also?

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Ah, I have never tied anything down where it could compress more. If you don't have my mass ratchets straps are nice.

18. renegade17

Clamp and run. You can stack the bikes fairly close to each other too. They will sway a bit but nothing too bad. We have been using them 30 or so years and never had any drama. The TRS has less sway but i change around and haul to many varieties of dirt bikes to drop the coin in the catalog of pins...and I already have a good stock of the old faithfuls.

19. I have two. A moto tote and a cheap HF one I bought one day in an emergency to help someone out. If I’m not going off-road to get to my destination I hate to admit this but use the HF one, but only with the Jeep because I can take so much weight off it.

20. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

So no trouble clearing that spare tire?

Appreciate it and I’ve looked at everything Discount ramps sells. Still can’t decide.