1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

We're the Meatmen and you suck!

Discussion in 'General' started by Dave K, Feb 27, 2019.

1. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Now you're talkin'.
    My latest approach has been buying whole briskets at Costco, corning the whole thing, then cutting in two and doing the tip as corned beef and the flat as pastrami (cold smoke, finish in oven).

Glad you liked the puros. I've got more... IMG_1512.JPG IMG_1487.JPG

wrx_02 and dobr24 like this.
  2. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Yep, reduces smoking time.
    Nah not building crap, like DaveK I want a finished product not a Franken-grill :D

3. RGV 500

RGV 500 OLD, but still FAST

Pork shoulder (butt) tied with butcher twine
    Add your choice of rub
    2 hours per pound at around 210 degrees (yes, I have had these on the grill overnight for the bigger ones)
    Last hour at 350 to crisp up the outside
    Rest for 20-30 minutes
    Enjoy !!!!!!

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Last time the boss got me a brisket she about freaked the size of a whole one until I explained the freezer works really well :D

Not sure if I want to try a pastrami or not, the whole sous vide/smoker finish turned out some truly good stuff so I have a feeling she'll want that again with half.

5. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

That's why everybody loves my meat.....I'm HUNG :crackup:

6. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

The fact that you got decent results with this method is testament to the fact that it's damn near impossible to fuck up pork butt/shoulder. One final tidbit nobody's mentioned- don't go by x hours at x temp, go by internal meat temp. 190-200 is good for pork.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep. Time means nothing, every one is different.

8. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

Pretty fair amount the wood pan is near the size of a 12" pie pan and you can heap it a bit. Pie pan is a convenient reference :D

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

A damn good reference at that :D

My last two used a square cast iron box about 8x8 with a lid. If I can get that much in I'm good. Usually only have to refill it a couple times anyway before the meat hits 140.

10. wrx_02

wrx_02 Well-Known Member

Dave I got a BGE and yes it is worth it. Very good pulled pork that is relatively easy to make and better than most restaurants. Once you get good at it you won't go out for bbq besides the highly rated joints.

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/pork-recipes/perfect-pulled-pork-recipe

Try the Memphis Dust (rib rub) that is on this website. Ive started using it for my pork and its awesome.
    Pork usually doesn't need it but it always helpful when trying to have it ready on time for a party. Ill wrap it in butcher paper partially through the cook (once the bark is formed and about 160 degrees.) Then Ill put it in a cooler with towels when it is done. This can buy you a 6 hour window so its ready for serving time and it makes it more tender if needed.

11. wrx_02

wrx_02 Well-Known Member

Ive started using the Kamado Joe BIG BLOCK charcoal. If you have a Costco near you they will have the Kamado Joe Road Show once a year. 30lbs for like $20. It last longer than the Royal Oak I was using, their quality hasnt been what it was 5 years ago.

I have never run out of Charcoal during a cook in my BGE and I just have a Large.
    After any 12 to 14 hours of cooking I have enough charcoal left to cook beer can chicken or wings which I spend about 2 hours on.

12. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

I've got 3 Smoke Hollow propane powered smokers. Small one for camp, mid-size for home, big one for catering gigs. Very happy for the price point (the big one was around $500 and I've done 14 butt,s 16 chickens, 16 racks...) and my home one I've had for 8 years now. It's a little more labor intensive than an electric or pellet, but easier than a pure stick or charcoal. Get yourself a GOOD thermometer (Thermpro, Maverick).

Lots of people yap about how propane isn't REAL bbq... bullshit. I'll take the Pepsi challenge with anyone using a stick only or charcoal smoker. Heat is heat, and smoke is smoke. I could go on and on about techniques and theory vs. practical...

amazingribs.com is the best online resource I've found.

And next time, run your pork at 225*-250* and take it off when it hits 202*. That's your prime internal temp. Nice thing about pork butts is they're pretty forgiving and kinda hard to screw up IF you mind your temps and don't pull it off too soon. Ribs are next on the easy factor, followed by poulty, and then brisket. IMO brisket is the hardest to get perfect.

Have fun with it, Little D.

dobr24 and wrx_02 like this.
  13. crusty9r

crusty9r Human Lawn Dart

I've had my large for almost 15 years and love it. The Komodo Joe charcoal is great. I just bought the amazon version of the Eggnitor for lighting my BGE. It gets it ready to put the cooking grate on in under 3 minutes. I was using the branding iron lighter but this new one works a lot faster. I'm trying to catch someone selling a large to pair with mine. As said before, when cooking burgers for friends, I run out of space and endup cooking in batches.

A trip to a BGE fest like Eggtoberfest at Stone Mountain is well worth the cost.

14. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

I have a Traeger pellet grill. I’ve only used it a couple times. But it was super easy and I made the best turkey breast I’ve ever tasted for Thanksgiving. I’m very happy with it so far.
    QVC had the best package deal on it I found in my search.

15. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

I stopped reading on the first page to post. You guys are talking barbecue but in the same breath mentioning gas grills/smokers.

Something ain’t right.

Barbecue is low & slow over burning wood.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  16. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Oh look it’s the BBQ Purity Police.

StaccatoFan likes this.
  17. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Agreed, I pull at 203 every time. Perfection!

18. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

I like 198-200, pull, wrap and let sit in faux cambro for 2-4 hours. Internal temps will rise another 5 degrees, and time off the heat only lets the flavors develop.

pjzocc and wrx_02 like this.
  19. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Well ain't you got purdy words... I had to look that shit up- you couldn't just say "wrapped in towel and put in a cooler"?

20. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Some folks are just all about the Classics/Vintage ways.

Nothing wrong with that.

I think I’m with The Zocc. Heat is heat. You can go low and slow cooking with gas too. The wood is in there adding the flavor either way.

pjzocc likes this.