1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ROUND 01|Yamaha Finance Australian Round|22 - 24 FEB

Discussion in 'General' started by RossK6, Feb 21, 2019.

1. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

Clearly I'm no KW, but I wouldn't be taking a whole lot from this past weekend for many reasons.

PI track is unique to say the least, all this really shows is that a guy who spent the past 17 years racing at the highest level in the World was there for a reason and that the team nailed the set up on a super fast, flowing track. If round #1 was Laguna for example, I'd be guessing the outcome might have been quite different - only time will tell.

Also the 3 other V4's were nowhere to be seen and one of those was ridden by the vice-champ the past few years - no slouch himself.

turbulence likes this.
  2. moto316

moto316 Well-Known Member

The lack of a desmodromic valve system

03RumbleBee and 418 like this.
  3. Shocker

Shocker Well-Known Member

So basically R&D is holding them back. Maybe if Kawi didnt leave MotoGP, they could build a homoligated street bike using MotoGP tech. :D

4. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

New Kawi has a new valve train design for higher revs. I'd be interested to see if they let the ECU allow it to wind out more

5. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

What's with the focus on higher revs? Higher revs generally means less torque. Can't someone make a competitive engine with peak hp at lower revs?

6. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

With the horse power they are making I seriously doubt it, at least while staying in the displacement rules.

7. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Ducati tried that with a 1200cc twin. It wasn't cutting it.

8. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Shit!

I just had an epiphany, it all makes so much sense now, frankly I'm kind of surprised no one mentioned this already as to why the Duc pissed all over the rest of the field.....

[​IMG]

track wagon likes this.
  9. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

speaking of aprilia... they build the RSV4 RF with wings and no one is racing one?

03RumbleBee likes this.
  10. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

If you're not regularly finishing in the top 10, you have no hope as far as a championship goes regardless.
    Quoting this. For prosperity.

418 and rafa like this.
  11. metricdevilmoto

How many other Kawasakis won when the ZX10 was hit with the most restrictive sanctioning in the paddock?

stk0308 likes this.
  12. metricdevilmoto

Step 1: Obtain facts.

Step 2: Say things on the internet.

Most fellas skip one of these steps.

Mot Okstef likes this.
  13. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

When I saw that interview, my first thought was 'he's trying to limit Bautista's mental advantage now'. The Superpole race is a clear indicator Rea is within a fighting chance, and at PI where Ducatis have traditionally gone well, that's good enough. There will be plenty of tracks where Rea will have an edge. Bautista was just in a different league this weekend.

What's more impressive still is Melandri showing the 'factory' yamahas their asses. Hopefully he remains consistent this year. I believe the yamaha will treat him better than the Ducati.

14. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

Hilarious that some of you are thinking the rest of the season will be like PI.

metricdevilmoto and Laz like this.
  15. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Phillip Island is always the anolomy

metricdevilmoto likes this.
  16. StanTheMan

StanTheMan Well-Known Member

I don’t think anyone is quite saying that, but it’s pretty impressive that a new bike with very little setup data was able to trounce a bike with several years of development and refinement in it with the four-time wsbk champion riding it. Once Ducati has some notes and data compiled it may be a hard bike to beat.

turbulence likes this.
  17. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

I am actually encouraged by the pack of Yamahas doing fairly well. When the series gets to tracks the R1 agrees with, it could be interesting, as they have 4 good riders now.

Things will change when the series gets to Europe, as stated PI is a one off. Bautista will struggle a bit more at tracks that are new to him, particularly since Ducati won't have set up data for the new bike at those tracks either.

I think it will be a good year. I see at least five different race winners and if JR has an off day he could find himself off the podium this year for a change.

stk0308 likes this.
  18. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

I`m gonna guess by your posts and avatar you`re a duc fan.:D

19. KMC

KMC DUC|DET

I'm sure Ducati will struggle at some tracks. It's a new bike. Even more reason why JR looks like a baby for whining after the FIRST ROUND.

I also caught one of the announcers saying something like, "There's no replacement for displacement..." when AV motored by JR on the front straight. Sorry cuz....they're all on 1000's now. Need to put that old argument to rest.

badmoon692008 and turbulence like this.
  20. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

Pneumatic/Desmo valves vs Spring valves. Maybe the issue is a spring valved I-4 doesn’t have the same potential. Ducati basically has MotoGP type valve control and rpm limits in a SBK platform.