1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do any of the tracks have loading docks that you can use

Discussion in 'General' started by kyle carver, Feb 22, 2019.

1. Maybe you should pay your bet.

Scotty87, badmoon692008 and vfrket like this.
  2. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

What's your paypal? Paypal ready.

3. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Before I got a trailer I used to load it into an F150 by myself. As others have said, 2 ramps does the trick....one for you, one for the bike. Walk the bike up using the clutch. If she can do it, so can you. As you can see here, you don't need a loading dock, even just a small transition angle in the road like this (road/driveway), can alleviate the angle of the ramp quite a bit.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  4. Payable to the Airfence Fund.

5. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

There's many ways to get the bike up:

Have used the two 12' ramps where I use one to walk alongside the bike. The downside is having to also load and haul two, long ramps.
    Have used the crate alongside a single ramp. The height of the crate, in relation to the tailgate is important. Also, this seems to work best for lighter bikes.
    Have used the wide ATV folding ramp (get the longest you can find). I use this method reliably. One wide and long folding ramp. It's money well spent, IMO.
    Have you used the trailer hitch ramp. Some aren't worth their weight in tinsel, but the better-made ones are super easy. Pricey though, compared to the ramps, and tailgate use is out of commission with this method.

Those are the methods I've used. Has anyone used a different method?

If you use the running engine to 'bump-clutch' your bike up the ramp (rather than pushing it), the ramps definitely need to be secured to the truck...

This isn't an option for your truck, obviously, but having a low-bed will make you appreciative each and every time you load your bike. I guarantee it. :D

In all methods, enlisting help and backing up to a hill make all methods easier (save for the trailer hitch ramp).

Good luck whatever method you choose.

6. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

I'm in need of ramps too. What low down on the good ones and where to get them? Things like being curved, punched plate vs bars, length (obviously) seem important.

7. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

The ones in the attached video above work well. No high centering the bike at the lip is the reason for needing the curve. I glued a paint stir stick between hinge point to make the curve slightly larger. Exactly the right width to fit.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
  8. Phl218

Phl218 .

Bulk up a bit and use this technique

badmoon692008, DmanSlam and TLR67 like this.
  9. kyle carver

kyle carver Well-Known Member

Thanks for most of the suggestions. My real fear is unloading the bike, backing it down the ramp. So if I loaded it backwards at the house and some issues are resolved. Has anyone hauled a bike backwards. Does the fairing and wind screen survive? Thanks

10. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

That would be like a parachute and would probably do some body damage. Get a spotter or 2, and practice at home loading and unloading until you get the feel for it.

BigBird likes this.
  11. britx303

I use 1 ramp and a toolbox as a step and have done this with a few different pick-ups. Anymore I do it by myself unless its wet outside,then I get my wife or daughter to spot me. + Watch out for wet tailgates:p

12. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Just haul it straight. Feather the brakes coming down the ramp, and all will be fine. Lean it in towards you a bit so you have more control and dont fear it going over the other way. It's really not that hard once you get the hang of it, but can be daunting at the outset. Used to see it at the track all the time. Guys out there haulin ass on the track all weekend, no problems handling a motorcycle at speed, but get all nervous as fuck walking beside the thing lol.

Just don't do it in flip flops lol.

SpeedyTide likes this.
  13. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I've seen alot of snowmobiles with the windshields ripped off from doing that.

14. kyle carver

kyle carver Well-Known Member

Well it sounds like I need to grow a set and get on with it. I’ll have the wife video my practice runs. I need to check my health insurance
    Thanks all

BigBird likes this.
  15. britx303

Agreed. Get on with it. Pics or it didnt happen!!!:D

16. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I wouldn't want to unload the bike in that manner with the front wheel facing back. I find it easier and more stable walking it back down the ramp with the rear wheel going out first.

Ha....I once unloaded my 1000 down off the pickup bed in the rain and the bike had slicks on it at the time. I'll admit it was a terrifying experience that I hope to never do again.......but I managed to do it without dropping the bike (barely).

badmoon692008 likes this.
  17. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

No shame in dropping the bike- been there done that (both in the driveway and in front of people at the track)

BigBird likes this.
  18. britx303

No way! That sh*ts embarrassing!! I'd rather bin it at 100 mph on track than drop it in front of the paddock.:D

19. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Just a tip when bringing the bike down a ramp put it in 1st gear and use the clutch so the rear wheel can act as a brake...much much easier than dragging the front wheel down or having assistance with rear etc...

20. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

TLR67, that never occurred to me to do that. Makes sense as the front wheel slides sometimes, with a small concern it may cause a "low side".

It also never occurred to me to back my bike onto my truck. But I won't (ever) for obvious reasons. :)