1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WSS mandatory pit stop

Discussion in 'General' started by 10MM, Feb 21, 2019.

1. 10MM

10MM Action Reaction

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I'd bet tires.

rcarson15 likes this.
  3. casjoker

casjoker Refusing middle age

I bet hipster millennials...

4. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
    Phl218 likes this.
  5. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

But yet the Superbikes manage to make it work without a pit stop. In the Silly Season thread I brought this up and they just need to move WSS to the slicks. When Intermediate track day riders and novice racers are running slicks, it just doesn't make sense to WSS to run race DOTs.

6. mike-guy

mike-guy Well-Known Member

Although that makes perfect sense I kind of get the appeal of a lesser class but for god sakes just let them run slicks for this race so we don't have to deal with these pit spots.

7. 2blueYam

Most likely too late at this point. They probably can’t procure enough slicks for the whole grid to use for the whole weekend.

8. Shocker

Shocker Well-Known Member

Pretty much all club race orgs have adopted allowing slicks in the SS classes as well. I remember hearing that either Dunlop or Pirelli have stopped developing the DOT race tire and are mainly focusing on slick tire development.

9. mike-guy

mike-guy Well-Known Member

That's true and I'm sure there are plenty more logistic issues with it we couldn't imagine.

10. svracer22

svracer22 Well-Known Member

Sure they couldn't get enough slicks today, but it's not like they didn't know this was going to be an issue.
    They claim the pit stop is for safey reasons. Pit stops have their own set of safety issues. That seems like more risk than running the same slicks as superbike.

11. HPPT

HPPT !!!

The Pirelli guys at the WSBK/WSS level do some interesting work. GMT 94 got the wrong tires during the first winter tests. They shipped them "regular" retail stuff.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  12. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

Sorry I'm so stupid about this, never been to a Motorbike track or in the pits. So your saying after 10 laps, they come in and change out the wheels/tires?

13. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Duuuuuuuuuuude..... yes, that's what it means. FFS come watch a race and/0r do a trackday this year.

14. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

FFS- OK! I just thought it would take a bit of time to change wheels DURING a race?

15. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Glory days of Daytona:

Not quite factory level from a few years ago:

It doesn't take much time at all.

Watch some from the EWC factory teams, it's insane.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  16. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Attached Files:

17. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

And to see the other end of the pit stop spectrum, come see Buckeye Racing in action at a WERA endurance near you... bring a sundial to time our tire change!

5axis, JBall and AC1108 like this.
  18. 2blueYam

Thanks Mike. It looks like they brought a new rear to try to address this, but I guess it didn't work out.
    I still love my Pirelli tires, even though apparently they can't get these right for the WSS bikes. Next year I am betting they bring a overbuilt rock that will be guaranteed to go the distance, but will be lacking traction. I would if I was them.

19. HPPT

HPPT !!!

To be clear, I'm talking about a test in Spain, not Australia.

20. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

Nice, how do they get the chain on/tensioned and the wheel aligned that quick? I know they do it though obviously.