1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion in 'General' started by Mongo, Feb 21, 2019.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Looks like the storms that parked over the ATL all last night fried the modem at the office so phones and net access is down until they replace it. Their current guess is around 5pm but my guess is not until tomorrow. Sorry for any inconvenience.

2. BrianC636

BrianC636 Well-Known Member

It was the Russians!!!!!

3. RGV 500

RGV 500 OLD, but still FAST

It was.........the Swedish Bikini Team

4. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

If i try to go to wera.com, there is an error sure enough....but if you go to google, search '13x forums', then click on a 13x link in the search results, it brings you to the BBS.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The BBS is not the main wera.com site.... :Poke:

Seriously though, the main site is on our server at the office, this is more important so it's offsite in a secure server farm at an undisclosed location with multiple backup sites in case of terrorist action. Or something like that :D

badmoon692008 likes this.
  6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

BTW werabbs.com brings you here too.

7. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

ever think about running that server on AmazonWebServices or GoogleAppEngine instead of locally? I bet itd be free.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep. Nothing is free....

9. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

The free tiers for either are VERY VERY limited. AWS for example is only free for the first 12 months, your limited to a T2 Micro instance (Single core, 1GB RAM) and 5GB storage. No way the BBS fits into that.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Y'all need to stop worrying about the BBS. It is an entirely different server and setup than our main site. For that matter so is our email (runs through the same server the BBS is on). The main website is wera.com and is the results and points and pre entry and all of that stuff. All of that site ties together with our back end system we use for membership and points so it all works best where and how it is.

Basically we have two totally different websites running, this one we're on now and then currently broken one.

11. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

I'm an IT engineer, I had an opinion about your setup before I knew WERA existed. :P

12. Prospect

Prospect Hayai

I'm trying to figure out where I know your avatar from, seems familiar but can't remember where from.

On the other hand, may the Beeb never go down. If this place went down I would be a very sad panda.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:crackup:

It is funny, the BBS used to be on a dusty 386 box in a closet (right next to the RRW server even) of an office on Dupont Circle. Then got upgraded to a better box in a garage and we got excited when Jim got a T1 line to the garage. Now it really is in an old dot com server center on much faster gear. Only downtime we've ever had with it was when a backhoe nailed all the fiber cables into the building.

The main site doesn't need any of that. Raid setup and regular backups offsite and I'm good. If it goes down for a day or two the world doesn't end for people like it would for this place being down. Hell, we've been down for software changes and immediately faceboobs freaked out along with emails letting me know the BBS was down. No clue what time the modem blew last night but not a single peep about it out of anyone :crackup:

14. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

My avatar is the front of a Seagate GoFlex Net, the forum picked it up from my Github account interestingly.

15. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

I agree. but we arent talking about the BBS.

BrotoGP's database and website has been free on GAE for >3yrs now. traffic is minimal of course. but it works well enough.

16. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Who knew. I always went to wera.com then clicked the bbs tab. :confused:

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That's why it's there :D

18. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

on my browsers i just type "f" and forums.13x.com is ALWAYS the first entry. F and enter gets me here.

19. joec

joec brace yourself

It's my homepage on chrome

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

We need to change the name to furums.13x.com.... :D