1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2016+ ZX10R header/lower clearance

Discussion in 'Tech' started by moto316, Feb 20, 2019.

1. moto316

moto316 Well-Known Member

Anyone else on here have clearance issues with aftermarket full systems and race bodywork on their Gen5's? I run the full titanium arrow system on mine and had zero clearance with my sharkskinz lower right where the header pipes merge into the two midpipes. Stuck some exhaust heatshield material on that area of the lower but it still didn't stop the paint from bubbling/degrading. Now getting around to installing a carbonin set of bodywork and the clearance is even less compared to sharkskinz, probably a 4 inch section where the header pipe is in contact with the bodywork. I've gotten some suggestions to get the lower re-fiberglassed with extra clearance in that section, but I'm leaning towards potentially finding a new exhaust system that doesn't have clearance issues.

Does anyone have any feedback on how the fitment of the full akrapovic or graves system is?

2. DDK732

DDK732 Well-Known Member

We ran a full Graves exhaust with Shark Skinz body work last year and had some clearance issues on the right side of the lower. We were able to use a heat shield in that area and didn't have any trouble.

We fitted the bike up with Hotbodies later in the year and that body work had no clearance issues with the Graves exhaust.

moto316 likes this.
  3. Gumby647

Gumby647 Señor Member

I've had similar issues. I built a bike with a graves header, ran it on the dyno and then the Carbonin bodywork didn't fit. Now I own a Graves header I don't need.

4. Gumby647

Gumby647 Señor Member

Also I know the Akropovic doesn't hang as low as the Graves but I have no experience with the Arrow exhaust.

5. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

DEI makes some high tech heat shielding, summit racing sells it. Spend a couple of minutes looking through their products and you’ll find something that works. Had the same issue on my TLR and the first shield didn’t work but the second one did.

6. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

ive been tempted to add a small NACA Duct to the lower right in front of where the header touches to help cool everything. ive tried multiple heat shielding and they all eventually melt too.

7. Gumby647

Gumby647 Señor Member

moto316 likes this.
  8. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

9. moto316

Yea I actually fitted some DEI floor and tunnel shield which looks pretty similar to the one you linked to https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N64QLUK/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It did the trick pretty good on keeping the lower from burning up but it really does a number on your nice looking Ti pipes.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I think I'll shoot carbonin a message and see if they can confirm that they don't have any issues with akrapovic systems on this bike.

10. DDK732

DDK732 Well-Known Member

I think Graves is working on a new header that will fit tighter and probably solve some of the bodywork fitment issues.

I know some people have cut and reglassed the lowers to get the fitment right.

11. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

Same thing I didnt notice it until it burnt my paint. Hear shield and fixed it

12. Gumby647

Gumby647 Señor Member

I rivet it on.

stangmx13 likes this.
  13. moto316

@DDK732 anything new with the new graves works2 system? Looks like you guys are running carbonin with it now as well? Is the fitment better?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvnRiU_He_7/

I emailed carbonin and asked what exhaust they can verify fits well and they said they had no problems with akra.

14. DDK732

DDK732 Well-Known Member

Yup, the Carbonin stuff works perfect with the new Graves exhaust. I had to trim the back corner of the lower where it was touching the mid pipe, but that was a quick and easy mod on the belt sander.

I know there is some update with the new exhaust system. Not sure on the details but I know the new exhaust makes better power.

moto316 likes this.
  15. DWhyte91

DWhyte91 Well-Known Member

The graves system and Hotbodies bodywork fits perfect with no clearance issues. I know nobody will believe it though lol.