1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Board Knowledge: Attending Sebring 12 Hour

Discussion in 'General' started by Smilodon, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

Trying to get some tips from an experienced visitor. While I've spectated at races all over, I've never seen the Sebring race (typically because it either interferes with Daytona or I have to chose one or the other finance-wise).

But, decided to give it a try this year. Looks like I even get a bonus endurance race in the bargain this year!

I'm a Florida resident, and vaguely familiar with the area. I even crewed for my Dad at bike races there in the past. But, I have no idea what the ins and outs are for attending. I don't have an RV anymore, so it is just me, my wife and what we can haul down in a pick-up truck.

With potentially two races to watch, I don't think I can just eat and sleep from the truck. I know there are few places to stay around there and they are already booked.

Should I just plan earlier for next year, just run down and watch the 12 hour and go home or what? Is there a best place to go in, best place watch from, best way to get tickets, etc.

Figured there might be somebody on here who attends regularly and can pass along some hard-won knowledge...

2. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

3. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

I'll be there. Been going pretty regularly for the last 25 years.

I'm taking my 10 year old son and 12 year old nephew (their first time), and will be there from Thursday night till maybe Sunday morning, if the kiddos last that long. Will be camping just outside the track in my toy hauler.

The even't has improved drastically over the last decade or so. Still the same viewing experience (there is no other event that gets you closer to the action with just a regular ticket) but they've added some nice things in the way of amenities, food and entertainment, etc. There are multiple shuttles that circle around different areas all day, so the walking has been reduced, but you should still expect to get a workout getting to different areas.

The party atmosphere has tamed down in recent years, but Green Park (turns 6-11) is still fun to visit to see the shanty-towns being put up and the personalities that go with them.

Lots of vehicle vendors along the main road inside the track, and by far the closest you can get to the teams of any event of this caliber I've gone to. Best part is waking up early on Saturday and heading over to the pits to see these guys work.

Grid walk is crowded, but worth it, and I find watching the start from the Porsche/Corvette corral as they come under the bridge at 17a to be the best experience. Nothing like the sounds that so many varied pieces of machinery make.

Give me a shout if you get some time, wanna have a cold beer or rest your legs. It is by far one of my all-time motorsports events to attend, and I look forward to it every year.

4. NemesisR6

My old man, 1975, manning the front right wheel during BMW's 12 Hour win with the 3.0 CSL:

1975 BMW 2.jpglt.jpg

....and bottom left in the white t-shirt in the winners circle:

[​IMG]

rd400racer, 418, 5axis and 1 other person like this.
  5. NemesisR6

Far right in the background when he won with Peter Gregg and Hurley in 1973:

[​IMG]

6. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I want to go one day. My only connection to the event is that my dad was hired by West Coast Fertilizer in Lakeland to replace the manager who was one of the spectators killed at the track in 1966.

7. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

Thanks for the info. If you didn't have the toyhauler (which I'm sure you didn't all those years), how would you work things? Sleep in the car? Bring a tent? Are there any places better to do that than others? Where is a good place to park inside the track? Or do you even do that?

8. NemesisR6

Back in the day when my Dad still worked for Porsche the company would pay to rent an RV and we would fill it to the brim with food and booze so that we could feed the employees working the corral all weekend. Once he retired most of our trips were day trips where we would get to the track around 8am and leave shortly before the race ended, unless there was some ridiculous finish shaping up that we wanted to stay for.

Honestly, unless I had a bed to sleep in and a shower to wash the grime off (if it's really dry the non-paved areas around Green Park get a lot of dust kicked up from vehicles and foot traffic), I wouldn't go for more than a day..........you do a LOT of walking, and if it's warm it takes it's toll. The best years are those where it's a bit overcast and the temps are under 80. I think only one year I went it rained for 48 hours straight. I've never tent-camped, and unless I knew the weather was going to be perfect I probably wouldn't.

Now that I have the toy hauler, I just use the free overflow parking just outside the track as you approach the main entrance. Plenty of space and pretty close to an entrance with a shuttle stop. We'll explore and watch in the morning, head back and make some lunch and rest, then head out again.

Parking inside the track isn't terribly expensive for the general areas, but can be a real hassle if you are trying to leave when everybody else is.

9. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

Tent. Snakes.
    No. Just NO.