1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RFID headlight tags

Discussion in 'General' started by Alex_V, Feb 18, 2019.

1. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

Got to have one on a cars headlight to open the gate. They work flawlessly on all of my vehicles, but the old Ford Ranger. It works 50% of the time. The one on my motorcycle headlight doesn't work at all. People who work the gates are pretty clueless. So I am trying to figure out how to fix this.

Maybe old hazed headlight on the Ranger could be a problem - Need to get new headlight?
    Is it placement, or angle?

Motorcycle doesn't have enough weight to trigger the system, maybe? It didn't work on the headlamp, or the windshield, didn't work at all.

Any thoughts?

2. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

So the weight of the vehicle activates a scanner that then searches for an RFID tag on your headlight?

3. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

That was just a guess. Tiger 800 is not the lightest bike, but I couldn't get it to open the gate

4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Height of the light a factor?

5. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Maybe they just don’t want your ratty old ranger in there?

6. wsmc 589

wsmc 589 Well-Known Member

Shouldn’t be the weight. Its normally a wire of some sort that detects metal thats embedded in the concrete.

7. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

I don't blame them. Who would ))

8. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

Was told that it was a weight activated system, and all I need to do is to gain a few pounds.

9. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Motorcycles are frequently ferrous metal deficient for tripping embedded wires.

10. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Given they don't know I would assume the weight thing could be incorrect. Look at the pavement is the cuts in it that have been filled. If so it is likely the magnetic thing others stated (they use them here a lot on lights) Try to center your bike over the cut. As to the RFID tag they are proximity devices so there is interference and distance as you enemies. See if the drones know where the reader is and that might help also.

Oh and zero cuts I would think it might also be an IR beam for initial trigger.

11. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Lots of pizza rolls available.

12. michaelrc51

michaelrc51 Well-Known Member

They're called loop detectors. You'll usually see them cut into the pavement but due to motorcycles' size and weight and mostly aluminum characteristics, they don't trip most ground loops. This is one reason that municipalities are trying to go with cameras that have motion activation over ground loops and other sensors. Another way to get more "traffic" light cameras.

13. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

14. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

Well, I think I figured out what was wrong with the Ranger. Ended up reading up FAQ on one of the manufacturing websites. RFID tag was installed vertically, where recommended installation is horizontal. Also it was a little to close to the fender. Recommended distance is 2". Had the new one put on, and it seems to work much better.

As far as Tiger goes, I am probably going to give up and leave it as is.

15. Move out of the high class place, they don’t want your old ford ranger bringing down property values :). Take the hint

16. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

You must not have a real Ranger. I find it hard to believe a Ranger can't get though a little gate...they secured Normandy for heaven's sake!!

I will now record (vertical) your truck and yell "STOLEN VALOR!!"

:flag: :beer:

17. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

18. michaelrc51

Yeah, problem is there’s a lot of factors. The installation can make a huge difference in sensitivity and also the loop detector itself can be adjusted.
    Those things never work 100% of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

19. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

I am giving up on the bike working, at least the Ranger can get in.

20. michaelrc51

You sure they’re RFID or barcode? Barcode is much more popular with the gate systems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro