1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can this be patched or plugged?

Discussion in 'General' started by njracer, Feb 16, 2019.

1. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

The million dollar question is did you buy the road hazard insurance?

2. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Use a good mushroom plug and you will be fine. Tire shops won't plug them because without dismounting the tire you can't see if it has been driven around for weeks low on air causing other damage to the sidewall. That unseen damage is the real threat to putting the tire back on the road.

3. njracer

njracer Well-Known Member

Nope...100k on the boat with no tire issues. This just sucks.

4. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Ok so how much was this boat trailer tire?

joec likes this.
  5. njracer

njracer Well-Known Member

$220.00 installed

6. Venom51

GoFundMe? :D

R Acree and notbostrom like this.
  7. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

I would do an internal patch on that without hesitation. On a side note why would someone put a risky tire on the back as some have mentioned? From my understanding a rapid rear flat/blow out can result in a rollover if not correctly controlled on high CG vehicles.

8. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

So in 100k you have probably bought 2 or maybe 3 sets, and now you have one tire that you damaged by running over something? That's not to bad but it does sucks for sure. Based on your pic I think the screw entered the tire in the worst possible place.

Someone suggested you make it your spare and that's probably the best idea. So maybe you should buy a new one or else some night at 3 am 50 miles outside of Barstow that repaired tire will take a shit and ruin your week.

Remember you can pay me now or you can pay me later.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
  9. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Id rather have a rear go than a front. Especially because a front suddenly going will pull the steering wheel out of your hand rather quickly if you dont have a steering damper/safety device. Worst thing to do in either is apply brakes and try to turn...lol. Which most pedestrian drivers would do without any training! :D

ToofPic likes this.
  10. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

No reputable tire shop will repair that. I wouldn’t repair it because I worked at one for a while.

It’ll be harder to buff the inside of the tire there to get a patches or combi repairs to stick well. And make sure to do your gluing properly and apply the sealer after.

11. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

That's the proper way to do it going by many sources. You're trimming the damaged steel belt so the plug can be inserted to fill the void and prevent water and contaminants in to get at the exposed belt. Patches or plugs by themselves are not the correct way to repair it. Do they work? Yea they do, of course, but they fail a lot more too. I've removed and replaced many snot plugs to install the correct "mushroom plug", and patches, well they just don't help the exposed cord and it can rust away internally.

I wouldn't repair that at my shop unless it was on my own truck. Even then i'd have a standby ready to roll. If you really just going to run it, get the 10$ plug kit at a parts store, pull the screw, ream the hole good and jamb the snot plug in and trim it off. A literal 2 minute ordeal. From that point on, it is what it is. Just keep it in the back of your head whatcha got.

12. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

I'm dealing with a puncture in almost the exact same spot from running over a freaking rubber bungee strap, the S hook bit and took the other end for a ride scratching/denting my lower door. Man, was I ever pissed about it too. :D

Tire guy at Walmart would NOT patch it because it was too close to the sidewall.

I have one of those rubber mushroom gun jobbers, that have ALWAYS worked for me but I couldn't get it to sit flush on this one for whatever reason, kept leaking. So I jabbed 2-3 of those tar strip plugs and it held air great until just recently. So I bought a can of that Slime and it's doing OK, looks like it might stretch refills to once/wk. I only have 28k miles on this tire, hate to dump it this early.

13. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

Doesn't matter which end a blowout is on, someone who panics and over corrects in a high speed blowout will lose control anyways. Had tires blow out on me with 4x4's before at high speed, no rollovers, no loss of control, no damage other than the tire and maybe the rim. Its a non issue otherwise.

I wouldn't touch it. Plug it just to get home or to the tire shop, but that's it. 1" from the edge I would just replace it. $220 is a lot cheaper than having the tire blowout and doing body damage from a flapping carcass.

XFBO, I hope like hell you TELL whoever dismounts that tire that you put slime in it. Tire monkeys really get pissed when they pop the bead and slime comes spraying out all over them :D

XFBO likes this.
  14. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

^^^^ This

fixerflyer likes this.
  15. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

I’ve also had damage near the edge and I heard the same thing - ‘too close to the sidewall’. Question is, people have still had them fixed or done it themselves. Has anyone ever actually experienced some type of the warned failures when patching/plugging near the sidewall? Didn’t know if it was just a ploy to sell more tires like the fake warnings our moms said that never came true like ‘don’t swim within 30 minutes after eating or you’ll get cramps’.

16. Uncle Jesse

Uncle Jesse Well-Known Member

17. Venom51

No...

I do however from a business perspective in Americas sue happy environment understand why they refuse to do so. All it takes is the one dumbass that drives a tire around for months 15 pounds low on air, gets aggravated one day and has it plugged and then 2 miles later the blowout happens. Who do you think they are going to blame it on?

cav115 likes this.
  18. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Safety seal plug.

Vulcanizes to the tire, permanent repair.

19. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Also this

20. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

OK, I know it's some kind of tire patch/plug.
    WTH is this? Does it go thru the hole, or have to be stuck on from inside?