1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bummer: A380 project terminated

Discussion in 'General' started by SPL170db, Feb 14, 2019.

1. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

2. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Just to be clear, that wasn't a slam on the US. You have to account for the overall volume of traffic, which doesn't factor in the very basic breakdown in the first link. I would say Indonesia, for instance, is somewhat worrisome. The Congo is downright frightening.

3. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

pssssh. MD90 has real connection between stick and flight controls, I'll take one of those over these new fangled, hope the windmill pops out of the wing so we can fly if we loose the engines things anyday.
    As for Asia, I sure do read about a lot of crashes over there. They seem to misplace flights a lot too compared to everywhere else. I mean really, how do you loose an airplane in the GPS age?

4. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

I apologize but I’m going to have to declare myself an expert because I’ve watched just about every episode of Air Disasters.
    Pilot training and cockpit culture in the Asian culture was often a reason why airplane crashes have occurred. That 757, or large plane that crashed in California a few years ago, crashed due to the Asian pilot was not beingcomfortable landing his plane without computer assistance. The landing assistance computer was not operational at the airport that day. So because they have new planes the crews flying them may not be sufficiently trained to fly them.

As far as planes on the continent of Africa, I’d be leary of flying there because they lack general accountability and their aircraft may older not be maintained as well mechanically. I will also add here too, pilot training.

I’ll stop here for now because it’s amazing how some of these planes crash! They’re also thinking of adding a looping cockpit video recorder to help aid investigators.

5. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I'm not sure exactly why your post starts with that apology. You're not saying anything that goes against what I posted. :confused:

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
  6. speedluvn

Phl218 likes this.
  7. speedluvn

It’s been said before and I’ll say it again, Vive la France!

Phl218 likes this.
  8. Photo

Photo Well-Known Member

Phl218 likes this.
  9. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Short haul Asian flights are mostly new A321s with Dutch/Scand pilots putting in their time (China excepted). I have no problem with them. Love the cheap fares!

10. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

11. Phl218

Phl218 .

Econo plus in a 380 vs back seats with a major detour taking 3 days, yeah, was kind of unfortunate

12. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

I’d rather have the RAT deploy than rely on the pilots manhandling flight controls never designed to be manual only.

I dunno. I believe in tech...

pscook likes this.
  13. TheGrouchyCat

TheGrouchyCat Don't let my friends know I'm slow

My dad told me about riding in the top level of a 747 on a business trip, what an experience.

Phl218 likes this.
  14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Were you too lazy to read what I said about the first link as well?

15. HPPT

HPPT !!!

16. Rebel635

16 hours Toronto to Beijing was bad enough. I don’t know how people do these flights on a regular basis.

I mean sure, first class where you can lie down I can see that.

Phl218 likes this.
  17. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I've done 15, in old-school economy. That was excruciating. Can't imagine 19.

18. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I think the fact that they can pressurize the 787 and the A350 to a lower equivalent altitude as well as keep the air inside the cabin at higher level of humidity can make those long haul flights a little more tolerable.

19. Rebel635

Just make em fly faster the way they did in the 70s!!

20. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I did 6 plus 12 in the cheap seats. Luckily I got a bump in the first leg and my 12 hour flight was messed up, they put me on the next flight and they were pretty much flying the place over 1/4 full just to get the plane over for the return flight. Had the whole row to myself. Shit, I had my row and the one in front and behind me to myself. It sucked but sucked a lot less then my last 12 hour flight in economy plus with an ancient chinese woman in my row who coughed up her lungs, spat lung cookies into a towel and most likely had ebola, TB, the plague and she smelled like cat pee and aspirin.

I'm planning a flight from hell for the fall and this one, I'm going to find a way to get business class.