1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shipping a bike from Spain to the US

Discussion in 'General' started by Chris, Feb 15, 2019.

1. Chris

Chris Keepin' it old school

Has anyone purchased a bike from Spain and shipped it stateside before? I have an opportunity to purchase a dream bike of mine, but want to know more about the logistics, paperwork and shipping costs before I move forward. It is a one-off custom build. Any (useful) input is welcomed. :D

2. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

Don't know about the shipping, but would be interested in hearing what the "dream" bike was that you would go to that effort to get. Some sort of 2-stroker?

3. Chris

I know it's not everyone's thing and most people will dislike it, but I fell in love the first time I laid eyes on it. In my personal opinion, El Solitario does an amazing job building bikes that are a departure from the norm. I know I could recreate it myself, but it would just feel like a cheap knock off at heart.

https://elsolitariomc.com/moto/48-big-bad-wolf.html

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I don't know, I kind of like it. Reminds me of my GS750 Superbike. . . except your bike isn't a overworked, over stressed steaming pile of elephant shit. :D

The paint really is not my style but I can't help but think it's cool as fack. :up:

Chris likes this.
  5. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

If I'm not mistaken, it will need to be over 25 years old. A workaround is to ship it over here in parts.

6. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Well at least it doesn’t have a Harley motor in it. :D The name had me thinking some chopper POS. It is not horrible by a long stretch.

7. Shipping it to US is not difficult. Getting it approved for road use will be a nightmare.

8. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Yeap. Basically, it ain't gonna happen.

9. SBKBee

SBKBee Owner: FZ hotel

Good luck, I have always wanted an XJr.

10. TSAVO5150

TSAVO5150 ASMA #70

What makes it any different than getting a one off home built chopper approved? Just curious.

11. It’s easy as shit to register almost anything if you know what you’re doing. My 450sxf is tagged as a street legal bike...

12. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

Depends on the State .. i’ve Seen CR500’s plated in Michigan by throwing on lights and an air horn .

Shenanigans likes this.
  13. Big T

Big T Well-Known Member

It's not registering it in your state. It's getting it thru Customs that will be impossible. Since it is less than 25 years old, it will need a DOT stamped exhaust, among other things,

Just find a bike builder and a FJR. Show him the picture and hand him tons of cash

motion likes this.
  14. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Or, put a Spain license plate on it, bring it over here and keep it. Hope your neighborhood cops don't notice :)

15. Chris

Like I said earlier, I could handle the rebuild myself, but it would be a knockoff at best, defeating the originality entirely. Again, that is just my opinion. Guess I’ll have to start looking into options and see if it makes sense.

16. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Depends on the state. Shit aint happening in Wisconsin. 17 digit VIN from the factory or forget it. I messed with grey market bikes and other wierd shit for a couple years, got so frustrated I lost interest.

17. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

i'm sure you'll enjoy the rest of the doodads on there, but not for nothing ISR brake stuff is amazingly machined. i like their gizmos.

18. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

Oh, a custom bike... Cool! I don't like everything he does for sure, but that bike is pretty cool.

Sounds like it would be a nightmare to have it on the road over here, though. Too bad, as it would be cool to have an original.

Maybe you can buy the US street bike, get it registered, ship it over there and have him make something for you. I think they would appreciate that you want something to ride on the street over here, rather than a showpiece.

19. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

California has a "Special Construction" that can used to register homemade Frankenbikes... I have one that also has parts from Over Racing.
    Ship it back as parts, with a bill of sale for the motor, and frame. No vehicle import/export issues, just "parts".
    Reassemble it KNOWING that it will have to have the DOT safety items on it before it will get considered for registration. Choppah builders do it all the time.
    If it meets DOT safety requirements, and you can show where you got the parts, it is your option to build your own motorcycle, for your use.
    Good luck.

20. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

Engine cover bolts all safety wired, but exhaust headers are not. Strange.