1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ducati SBK rear race tire delimma

Discussion in 'General' started by nlzmo400r, Feb 14, 2019.

1. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

Looking to race an 'old' 2002 998. Was expecting to run Pirelli SBK Slicks, but it looks like they no longer offer a 190 size, only 180/60 and 200/60.

The 180/60 is apparently 190mm section width and 656 diameter
    The 200/60 is 199mm section width and 662 diameter

Has anyone with a 916/996/996 fitted one of these and can confirm if they fit. I've already got the wheel at it's farthest point on the eccentric hub to maximize space among other things.

My other option is going with Michelin Power Slick Evo which is much harder to find sizing info on. From what I gather from Michelin direct sources

190/55 is available, but can't find any dimensions on
    200/55 is also available - 197mm section width and a 642mm diameter (20mm smaller than 200/60 Pirelli!)

Thoughts?

2. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I ran 180/60 Mich slicks on an '01 996 if that helps.
    Only difference between a 996 and 998 is the heads and body side panels.

Do you have a rear ride height tool? 237mm-241mm is the window, measured to the axle. Outside of that, either way, and you'll chase all kinds of handling issues up front...with no resolution.
    You can do whatever you want up front, as long as the rear is in that 5mm window. 500mm from bottom of triple to the center of the axle is a good start.
    (This was a while ago...I may be in error. :D)

3. swiest152

swiest152 Zoran's headache

I ran 180/60 Pirelli. It fits and works really well.

track wagon likes this.
  4. nlzmo400r

Yes I've got the ride height tool and I've noted measurements in the same range you've given me regarding height. I plan to set it around there and see what results are before changing anything. Up front it's got 28mm offset triples and Ohlins FGRT803s from a 848/1098 and I've adjusted the steering head to the 23.5* position for obvious reasons. This will be my starting point.

Regarding front ride height, I've read ride heights in the 700mm range are standard. But I'm not sure how exactly those were measured. I'll look at my setup, pick a reference point and verify. Thanks for the help.

5. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

The rear rim is a 5.5 inch correct? Go with the 180/60.

6. fastfreddie

Pics when it's ready!

7. Muz720

Muz720 Well-Known Member

I ran a Dunlop 200/60-17 on my 748 with no issues. 5.5 rim

8. Muz720

Muz720 Well-Known Member

IMG_1505 (1024x768).jpg

duc995 likes this.
  9. nlzmo400r

Did you race on a different size tire previous to this? What was your experience?

10. Muz720

Muz720 Well-Known Member

I raced with a 190 before switching to the 200. Because the 200 was a better tire. Dunlop is fazzing out the 190 slicks. Only issue was i didnt use the whole tire ( As you can see from the picture) and it turned in a little slower and cost a bit more.

11. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

I used a 180, 190, and 200 on my 848. If it all possible, go with the 180. It's all relative to your speed but there was a noticeable difference in changing direction. FWIW, I loved the Power Slick EVO. Awesome tire.

12. nlzmo400r

Do you recall the aspect ratios of those tires? Were they all slick evos?

I also have a 675 that I've used Slick Evos on for a while (120/180) and it's a great setup in my opinion.

13. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Hey don't worry about aspect ratios just look at the tire's suggested rim, width, and diameter to get the most accurate picture of what you have.

14. KMC

KMC DUC|DET

Pirelli 180 slick or Michelin 190 slick.

I think the Pirelli is a little better, but the Michelin rear is really good as well.

15. nlzmo400r

I'd love to, but Michelin doesn't seem to make that information available anywhere. So if I know the aspect ratios, I can presume they're going to be similar to the Pirelli with same aspect ratio

16. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Dave Hirsch of Island Racing Services should have that data or even David Grey so shoot one of those guys a email. Wait maybe Stick has the data but he's not pimping those anymore though. FYI there is a lot of dimensional flexibility in the size designation of tires (Pirelli 180/60 is 190mm as a example) so that's why I said check the data to be sure.

17. nlzmo400r

Thanks for the tip! I'd definitely prefer the dimensions if I can get my hands on them.

18. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

I rode US and UK made Dunlops in all the configurations then the Michelin stuff. I'll agree that the aspect ratios aren't very important because each tire behaves differently based on how it's made, the compound, and how it performs. My 848 was setup about as flat as you could make it which made it brake very well, but it didn't turn. Hence adding a 200mm rear didn't help matters.

I worked with Matt Carr on the setup and he reminded me of something really important when I started looking at geometry: Every time you make a change you have to remember it has effect on the rear. I couldn't get the bike to do what I wanted it to on Dunlops. The Michelin's were almost a direct swap and the magic happened. But alot of the had to do with how the tire was made. If you pick up a Power EVO Slick and a KR451 and compare, they really are at opposite ends of the spectrum. I have never ran the Pirelli's, but I know alot of people love them. They may be awesome I just can't speak to it.

19. nlzmo400r

From David Hirsch (Thanks David!!) - figured I'd share the info

Michelin 190/55/17 Power Slick Evo 654mm diameter
    Michelin 200/55/17 Power Slick Evo 664mm diameter

So all in all pretty comparable to the Pirelli

Pirelli 180/60/17 SBK Slick 656mm diameter
    Pirelli 200/60/17 SBK Slick 662mm diameter

20. fastfreddie

DSC_0398.JPG
    A little perspective on the Mich 180/60 on a 5.75"(?) rim.
    996, circa '03...
    Coulda prolly used a 190? Don't know if they had 'em at the time.