1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Led Zeppelin - the most successful cover band of all time?

Discussion in 'General' started by NemesisR6, Feb 14, 2019.

1. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Joe Bonamassa seems to be doing a pretty good job of it. I've seen him twice in the last year. Funny thing is that he covers Zeppelin at the end of his shows( and kills it). Louisville has the annual Bourbon and Beyond festival that has a lot of blues musicians. Have you checked out Samantha Fish? Youtube her version of "Shake em on Down" I'll post a vid in the appropriate thread. It's smoking!

Banditracer likes this.
  2. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Werd. Odds are I would have never heard of Robert Johnson, much less bought his music if not for Zep.

3. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Gary Clark Jr is another good one to check out.

MachineR1, Banditracer and rd400racer like this.
  4. rd400racer

He was at the same show with Joe! Got to see those two and Trombone Shorty...another amazing dude.

noles19 likes this.
  5. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

I'm hoping to go see Gary in April for the first time.
    I like bonamassa's guitar playing and gear collection but can't connect to his singing for some reason. That and the sunglasses inside bugs me haha

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  6. rd400racer

I can fully understand what you're saying about Joe. But the man can throw down.

noles19 likes this.
  7. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

But only a few have had to pay damages/royalties for infringement.
    Yardbirds/Stones/Cream/Fleetwood Mac were better than Zep, anyway. :Poke::D

noles19 likes this.
  8. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member

Drebber was a big Samantha Fish fan. Posted a lot of her videos on his Facebook page. RIP my friend...!

rd400racer and Banditracer like this.
  9. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Love me some Samantha, wife says I have a thing for her. :D

rd400racer likes this.
  10. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

Agreed on all counts. I was merely saying that the British rediscovered the blues and it wasn't uncommon for any of those bands to play covers or other songs influenced by the original artists.

Peter Green is my blues spirit guide and it's difficult to tell people that I like Fleetwood Mac and have them assume I'm referring to the Stevie Nicks line up.

11. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Saw (Young)Bob Cray at the local renovated art deco theatre (seating ~800) a few months back. Killer show with great new material.
    Speaking of Willie Dixon -- this one (his first issue) is a classic:
    [​IMG]
    I don't know, man, Dude has no soul. John Lee had more soul tapping his foot than that dude can muster in a whole album. :Poke::D
    Gary Clark Jr. has it going. There a great youtube video of him doing a duet with Lou Doillon doing a cover of Fever that shows his range.

noles19 likes this.
  12. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Samantha Fish is really good and I like Popa Chubby too. Rocky Athas is one of my favorites and he could be the real Texas Tornado? Not a Joe fan here, sorry.

And Peter Green is bad ass on Albatross and if you have never heard it check it out!

13. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

First saw Zep at the Newport Jazz Festival in July 1969.
    Outmuthafargingstanding !!

motoboy likes this.
  14. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

[​IMG]

noles19 likes this.
  15. R Acree

R Acree Banned

16. rd400racer

Damm...hell of a lineup!

Saw them in 77 myself. Skinny 16 year old kid, I managed to weasle my way to the very front. The good old days of festival seating.

17. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

No, the old news was that Led Zeppelin won. The new news is that the judgement was overturned and a new trial is coming.

18. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

Jeez, get it right! The band was Spirit, the song was Taurus!

"long-forgotten (and not even very good) West Coast psych band"

Bullshit. If you followed the names, members of Spirit were around for a long time. Randy California was working with Jimi Hendrix and missed his big opportunity to go to England with him because he was still in high school. So the band Spirit was formed, with his stepfather on drums. After Spirit, members went on to other bands. Jay Ferguson was in Jo Jo Gunne with the Andes brothers, then went solo. He scores movies, too. One of the Andes brothers was in Heart.
    Randy did several more interesting projects, some with his stepdad. Most remarkable was "Kaptain Kopter and the Fabulous Twirlybirds". Stepdad was on drums again and "Clit McToris" played bass. (Clit was later revealed to be Noel Redding.)

I like how Malofiy says his favorite band is still Led Zeppelin

19. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

My God, man. Just no.

motoboy likes this.
  20. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

I just can't get into him. He is to polished and perfect for my taste. I wish there was someone out there to fill the huge void SRV left.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

noles19 likes this.