1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So the GOAT* turns 40 this week

Discussion in 'General' started by tzrider, Feb 12, 2019.

1. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Stopping at round three was more likely due to the fact that the remainder of the races saw Rossi kick Lorenzo's ass, except at Assen where Rossi crashed out on the first lap, rejoined and wasn't able to work his way through everyone.
    But that's also where Nicky ran out of gas on the last lap, costing him third. Yet Nicky still beat Lorenzo by 8+ seconds.

2. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I'm just glad he's still around and somewhat competitive. He's like the bridge linking the new crop of riders to the past . I mean he's pretty much outlasted everyone, there's no one else left from that "by-gone" era. Kind of like LaRocco was in MX (maybe you could say Chad Reed now).

Who was the last one to have hung it up? Capirossi?

SpeedyE, BigBird and 05Yamabomber like this.
  3. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

Anyone think MM will be racing at 40? If he is, his GOAT status would be unquestionable at that point.

4. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Pshh that wasn’t remotely emotional. You wanna see emotional? Start a lightweight pro race thread!

5. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

...or vintage.

But there's a good chance some entertainment will come out of it for the gallery's enjoyment.
    :D

6. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

No hyphen in bygone. :D

Barros is still racing; at least last year anyway. National series, but still had it.

7. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I guess you could say the same thing about Bayliss then too.

8. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

So, now age is a factor in GOAT considerations?

Just trying to log all of the criteria here.

9. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

Age shouldn't be a factor but it sure helps you pad the total numbers.

10. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Think Rossi would ever step down to race in a lower tier series like Baylis, Barros, Elias etc etc have? I'm thinking probably no, at least not on 2 wheels anyway.

11. eggfooyoung

It's just a real shame we don't have any head-to-head results between Ago, Rossi, and Marquez, to help us decide.

12. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Now that would be boring...

13. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

14. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Good call. I just watched some ASBK races (including the new Bend track) and he's got a couple years on Barros. Wonder if Rossi will be racing (anywhere) when he's 47 or 49.

15. HPPT

HPPT !!!

That will be taken care of by the time he's 30.
    Troy Bayliss retired. He came out of retirement to race Australian superbikes. I wouldn't call that stepping down. That's more like his version of doing track days.

ChemGuy and BigBird like this.
  16. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Tomayto/Tomahhto ..... whatever you want to call it.

17. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

He will want to be Italian Superbike Champion, cos you know it means more than his 125 and 250 World Championships.

stk0308 and scottn like this.
  18. eggfooyoung

Curious, what if Marc equals Rossi's numbers, or is just a bit lower? What then?

19. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Curious? Like you don't already know. Dick. :crackup:

20. BigBird

BigBird blah

one thing really separated Rossi from MM93 is that Rossi doesn't crash much, and had a few bad breaks, but nothing lingering.

A shoulder could be bad, look at BS11 :(

stk0308 likes this.