1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2019 Tahoe vs 2019 Expedition. Which one should I buy.

Discussion in 'General' started by ineedanap, Feb 8, 2019.

1. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

It is Game over the first time you try to pull a big trailer...

418 and roy826ex like this.
  2. njracer

njracer Well-Known Member

I believe there is a setting in the driver info center that allows you to turn that off.

I like having them on and being an asshole! lol

3. Dave675

Dave675 Well-Known Member

So I guess you’ll be racing and riding a Harley next year too :)

Phl218 likes this.
  4. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

Well I’ve only got a 6x12 so no problem there. Towing capacity is 8k lb I believe and it has a 5.7 liter motor.

5. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

I'm a Lincoln Guy. Just ordered a 2019 Navigator L. I'll eventually have paid $93,000 in payments to own it :eek:

Jay305 and Phl218 like this.
  6. ineedanap

ineedanap Well-Known Member

Haha. I've had 9 Japanese motorcycles in a row. With the crap harley is putting out, there's no chance of breaking that streak. :)

7. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

Maybe it was when they where partnered up with Mercedes Benz- BUT, my 01, Dodge Dakota, 4.7- 5 spd manual now has 250,000 miles! Same engine, no internal work at all- still purrs like a kitten! (I have done all of my own oil changes since I ordered it from the factory. Has Trailer towing, tire and handling kit, etc. Those 4.7's are awesome, long term motors- I know, I have one.
    I have put one alternator on it, one serpentine belt, and one clutch and pressure plate

I did put a new set of HO cams in it when it had about 8,000 miles myself- added nearly all the HP/TQ difference of the 4,7, and 4,7HO.

YMMV

8. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

Precisely why I bought a used Explorer 4,6, XLT over a year ago. I'm sure at 4K it was less than your down payment. Yes, you have a lot nicer vehicle, and I'm glad you can afford it too. MAGA!

Phl218 likes this.
  9. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Don’t those things list for over $100k loaded up?

10. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

Let me save you from either one of those city crawlers that have no guts.

When you said trailer the game changed significantly.

Go big truck that’s just as nice inside or nicer as those curb smashers.

Mine:D
    [​IMG]

3 year old GMC Denali HD but if I was doing it right now I’d wait for the 2020 HDs from GMC (mid summer) with the newer L5P Duramax engine and 10 speed Allison transmission. It’s a fine ass people hauler with a truck bed and it’ll pull the frame out from under either of the two vehicles you’ve selected. And hell mine gets 19 mpg on my daily commute with 3:73 stock rear gears. It’ll bust 20 mpg + all day down a freeway with nothing but people in it.

What’s not to like besides parking it in today’s small ass parking lots. I just park way way out and walk which is good for my health.

And yes it fits in my garage with 4’ to spare up front.

11. Dave675

Dave675 Well-Known Member

Now, if only you could apply that logic to cars :)

ineedanap likes this.
  12. KMC

KMC DUC|DET

The 6.2 GM motor is pretty awesome. I’ve driven a few Yukon Denalis and Sierra Denalis (pops has one and loves it). They are nice. He gets better mileage with the 6.2 than he used to with the 5.3.

We put a supercharger on my partners Yukon 6.2. I’ve smoked all kinds of punks in Chargers and Mustangs with it. Even beat a Z06 up to 100mph.

Haven’t been in the Ford. I know you can do a lot with those motors...but if you’re buying and not leasing, my money would be on the Yukon.

Phl218 and roy826ex like this.
  13. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

I didn’t mention it in my original post but GM has a new gas burner big V8 coming for their 2500 series trucks. Details haven’t been announced yet but I expect it to be good considering what it’s replacing.

After owning big gas burner 1/2 ton trucks I personally ain’t interested. Rev rev and might pull something at 6 mpg. I’ll take my chances with a modern day suffocated diesel, under warranty of course :p

14. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

ryoung57 likes this.
  15. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

Dude said he needs 3rd row seating. Good recommendation there....

Explorer competes vs trailblazer. Both are now unibody chassis based on car platforms = 5k max towing.

Hands down expedition. I wish they put the smaller 2.7 eco boost in it. 3.5 is overkill imo.

Once you drive a 5.3 then an eco boost you won’t wanna drive the 5.3 again. And I say that with a 5.3 LS in my mustang.

The new Chevy HD V8 will be a 6.6.

16. wonderinwhy

wonderinwhy Well-Known Member

I bought a 2011 expedition in 2015 with 35,000 mls. King Ranch has everything i neber had in a car before. Ford has a TSB out on the variable cam timing solenoid's. Produces a pre detonation type idle. Was an easy fix, but if u gota pay for fix its 700.00. Was only 150.00 for solenoid's. After that all good. Oct, we pulled 8x18 R&R trailer out to san diego & back. Just under 5000 lbs loaded. Got 10 mls a gal/w 5.4 triton. Would pull all day at 70. In Missouri my brother tested the anti sway system that came with towing package. This brain checks speed, load, & handling, right before your about to crash because your drafting an 18 wheeler, passing two more, in windy conditions, down the side of a small mountain at 77 mls,,,it will tap the trailer brakes, lock them for an instant, straighten everything out and make me shit my pants, all while flashing all kinda weird lights on the dash board.

17. wonderinwhy

Trans gota brain also. Just south of Taho, we were decending some real mountains. Trailer brakes were set a bit week, well....maybe alot week for the mountains. Anyway, shortely after i started to smell the brakes, they started to shutter, this thing handles real good getting pushed down a mountain by a 5000 lb trailer. About 5 miles into the brakes burning up, this thing starts downshifting, all by its self. Turns out that when this brain sences your flying down a mountain, pulling a trailer, with burning brakes it decides your outa control & goes into self preservation mode and will save you from yourself. We finally came up on pull out let her cool down, turned up brake control, all the way/w no delay. Took a while for them brakes to cool down. Read the whole owners manual.

18. wonderinwhy

One thing thats realy peculular, is that ever since we went through colorado, police k-9 dogs bark at us all the time. Other than that its ride is quiet, & very comfortable.

Phl218, SuddenBraking and cpettit like this.
  19. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

I can’t descrive to people who only had Chevy and Ford V8s just how different the eco boost motors are. They drive like a diesel. All this low end grunt makes the truck/suv feel like it has a 10l v10...

My friend has had Chevy 1500s for a decade now with the last one being a 2009 1500 with the 5.3 and 6l80. Afterwards he bought a 2015 2.7 ecoboost f150. Swears he will never buy a v8again. Towing his mustang is a breeze now he says whereas the 5.3 he had to downshift manually before inclines to get it to maintain speed.

20. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Go ahead. Ask why Ford had to begin using brass valve guides in the ecoboost engines. That would be why not a single Management member drives one. ;)

Phl218 likes this.