1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

17" dot/slick recommendations

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by iomfan, Feb 8, 2019.

1. iomfan

iomfan Well-Known Member

TTR 125 w/current gen yz85 suspension/wheels F & R. Front has billet triple clamps. Rear has Works Performance shock.

Looking into having wheels built w/2.75F & 3.50R.

Want to start out on dot's & maybe try slicks later on.

Tire recommendations ? Should I go with 2.50 or 2.75 width on the front and 3.50 width on the rear or ?????

I have Pirelli Rosso II's on a 2014 Ninja 300 street bike & am considering those.

Thanks. Dave

2. Toadmeister00

Toadmeister00 Well-Known Member

I have a buddy that loves the Pirelli 110 DOT fronts on his DR-Z based racer with a 2.50 front wheel. He usually runs the 120 SC2 rear Moto3 slick (3.50 wheel) as he does mostly endurance stuff. You could always run a 120 front DOT (or slick) on the rear.

If you were going to go the front DOT route, I'd go with the 2.75 rim as I believe the 110 DOT fronts are spec'd for a 3.0 wheel. The 2019 Pirelli press release that just came out says they will now have the 110 size in an SC1 slick.

The tried and true set-up is 17x2.5/3.5 wheels and 125GP/Moto3 slicks. It's just hard to go wrong here, the tires are a little less expensive and a little lighter than 110 fronts and 120 big bike fronts run on the rear. Dunlop, Pirelli and Bridgestone all have excellent options.

iomfan likes this.
  3. iomfan

iomfan Well-Known Member

Thanks a million for the help. Exactly what I needed. Let me know if you ever make it to Road Atlanta or Lanier Raceplex. I owe you some refreshments.

Toadmeister00 likes this.