1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dirt bikes

Discussion in 'General' started by Wheel Bearing, Oct 27, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Used2Bfast 2

Used2Bfast 2 Still in the saddle

MM has some of the best tightest steepest singletrack around. My 29” bars are often too wide.

About 19 miles of 3-5 diamond ST on the map. Another 7-8 or so of hidden crazier stuff the TKO boys train on.

But if you don’t have a guide, you won’t find any of the secret stuff.

2. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Did my 2nd hare scramble at Budds 2 weeks ago and got me thinking of running in the vintage class in the SXCS series,and selling my TTR225. Thinking about a IT175-400+......depending on year cutoff for the V class. Im assuming the ITs would be a good bike for vintage class hare scrambling??? Pros/Cons etc? Other suggestions bike-wise?

3. 90kacoupe

90kacoupe Novice seeking Help

I ride at NATRA a good bit. Its definitely not hard enduro type terrain. There are some places you can find some technical terrain but most of it is a mixture of tight and flowing single track. I love riding there. There are miles and miles of single track. They have recently changed some of the trails and remarked a good bit of them. It really is a fun place to ride.

4. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

Read the vintage rules and buy the most modern bike allowed in that class.

terminus est and britx303 like this.
  5. britx303

I cannot find their rules online now,but going off memory when I was registering that morning I thought it said 1982 and older and no displacement limit. Thinking an it465 will be fun if so..........I just cant find one local enough. Not sure if the IT will be in the same boat as my TTR225 as far as suspension goes though= Not good for motocross........and we are using the Budds Creek track and dipping in and out of the woods

6. 90kacoupe

I would bet it would be similar to AHRMA rules even if it is not an AHRMA event. Look at their handbook.

7. t500racer

t500racer Never Fails To Fail

It will be in the same boat as your TTR except heavier and worse handling and always trying to rip your arms off or high-side you at the worst possible moment when the power comes on, as well as being difficult to jet due to a bad combustion chamber design. The thing will either rattle and ping or run pig rich. I would take an IT175 over that for hare scrambles any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

8. britx303

Well you certainly made the it465 sound even more fun!!!!!:D I was under the impression that it was the 490 that was the stubborn pig to get running right????

9. t500racer

t500racer Never Fails To Fail

You may be right on that, but I had an IT400 that was the same way. If I remember correctly, some of those early monoshock absorbers cannot be rebuilt.

10. Used2Bfast 2

Been cutting some singletrack on my property here at the house near Deals gap. Not much but enough to scratch the itch a little, at least.

4985CEBB-F8A6-4CBE-99B5-8969C7AB37F7.jpeg

Stumpy, Metalhead, XFBO and 1 other person like this.
  11. 90kacoupe

I think Drew Smith at WER can do all of them. He did the one on my Dad's IT125 (with MX175 top end).

12. Used2Bfast 2

The old man last Sat

13. Used2Bfast 2

14. Used2Bfast 2

15. Used2Bfast 2

Opsie

Redemption. Yeh he rode back up it

XFBO and rcmike917 like this.
  16. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Distance dirt bikers: I need a hydration backpack recommendation. I'm riding Baja with a couple of other idiots in a few weeks, so it won't be too hot (in theory). What volume of water should I realistically pack? I have saddle bags for tools and other awkward heavy stuff, so the backpack would be snacks and water. It's not a solo or race effort, but a couple of days riding with other idiots, so high speed shenanigans and off-trail excursions likely. Hence the request to figure out the best compromise between weight/wearability and function/capability.

Weather says highs in the 60's, lows in the 40's, so not too terribly hot.

17. Blue Junk

Blue Junk Well-Known Member

Happy Saturday everyone!

[​IMG]

SuddenBraking, Used2Bfast 2 and XFBO like this.
  18. tropicoz

tropicoz Well-Known Member

Many of the guys I ride with and myself included, wear Camelbak Mule backpacks. Comes with a 3L bladder and lots of space for snacks and extras without being bulky.

19. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

My only personal problem with camelbak is their attitude towards dirt bikes. They actively work to remove and reduce our access and riding areas. I might buy used, but not new of that brand

20. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

+1 on the Mule. if you don't like the brand (not a fan but I've had mine for a really long time) so next time I'll get something from another brand that's basically the same specs (volume and water capacity). Hard to go wrong with that size. plenty of water for a decent day ride (maybe carry a small filter like a Sawyer squeeze or mini for the group) and room for tools and snacks.