1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help with getting kids into racing

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by Ray Van, Feb 4, 2019.

1. Ray Van

Ray Van Well-Known Member

I used to race CMRA and moved into WERA turf. I want to get my kids into racing, but I need guidance on where they can do track days and what they need to get a race license.

Seems most track days say the kids need to be 16 or have a race license. My kids are 11 and 15. They have limited mx experience

I'd like to get them out on some tarmac on a mini and if they enjoy it help them get their race licenses

I need help finding track days for them so they can get some riding experience.

Thank you for the help.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You can get them onto a mini on the tracks we race them right now with no issues and no need for track days. I'd have them go over roadracing basics with someone and we can figure out a school of some sort if that'd help. We do a mini only license that is easier to get and cheaper as well.

What part of WERA turf are you in? There are a number of mini orgs around that could be good for them too running on smaller tracks.

3. Ray Van

We are in Chattanooga. I've done track days at Barber, NCM and Road Atlanta. Anything within 2 to 3 hours works best.

So, they could show up for a race weekend and get some track time / race or would they need to complete a race school 1st and then get a race license?

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

They could show up for Talladega in two weeks and we'll get them out for the mini races if you like.

We run minis at Talladega and Barber for tracks close to you. All of our events at those two will have minis racing on Saturday and Sunday.

Not sure of anything up that way but a slightly longer trip would get you to Josh Herrins place which has mini races all the time - https://www.facebook.com/theherrincompound/

5. Ray Van

I saw the Talladega weekend. I do not have minis yet, so I'm not sure we'd be ready

I saw the Ohvale articles and thought that would be perfect, but was waiting to see where they could be raced.

Herrin compound is perfect, just a hike from CHA. Still may need to take them.

Thanks for the info

6. r6boater

r6boater Logged out

Ray, I'm just up the road in Loudon. I'll be going to the Tally round to support my son. He started in WERA minis in 2010. He was ten at the time. We then went to running a honda rs125. It turned out to be quite expensive. So, in 2013 we started running a ninja 250. That would maybe be a good place to start, at least for your 15y/o, in my opinion.

If be more than happy to chat with you and if you'd like to come check out a WERA weekend, I'd highly suggest coming down to Tally and hanging out as our guest. Pm me if you like to chat more and/or plan to come hang out.

-Kurt

7. Ray Van

Kurt, let me look at schedule. If we can go, I'll reach out. I appreciate the offer.

r6boater likes this.
  8. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

I run supermoto/Mimi bike trackdays at CMP in Kershaw south Carolina, it's a haul but we ride about once a month. There's also a track in Alabama called minipond, that just started having Mini bike trackdays. And a Facebook group called south east mini that is a good resource for anything.

9. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

THere used to be a couple of people from CHA that went to Herrins regularly. Its maybe 20 mins more than I drive from FL.
    Not so bad if you do it on a Friday and drive back Sunday afternoon.