1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fork clamps? Where?

Discussion in 'General' started by cajun636, Feb 3, 2019.

1. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

So in trying to get a bunch of new guys to the track to get to Tally, I’ve ran into a problem. Where the hell to buy fork clamps these days for that archaic rule of requiring stabilizers for ALL bikes. Never understood the rules as it pertained to the 300 and under bikes

So where the hell do I tell these guys to order them from. Pro-Tek used to be the go to but it appears they aren’t in business anymore

2. javyday

javyday Well-Known Member

3. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I can check in a while when I'm in the shop and see if PU still carries anything.

4. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

You can use a old clip on and drill to fit... I did that on a old R1 as a temp.

Phl218 likes this.
  5. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

I know people will tee off on this, but cheap options available on eBay.

cha0s#242 likes this.
  6. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

2 min with google....

https://www.speedmotoco.com/category-s/72.htm

http://www.fastfromthepast.com/steering-dampers/fork-tube-clamps

Good thing your job isnt investigating and finding stuff...

:D

7. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

God damn they have gotten expensive over the years huh?!? Fuck me. $40 for a damn fork clamp?!? Fast from the past makes good shit but Christ.

I know some have rolled the dice with the Chinese shit

8. joec

joec brace yourself

9. joec

joec brace yourself

Older hondas have a threaded hole in the bottom triple. For like an 8mm bolt.. No clamp needed.

10. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

PU still carries Shindy page 1399 in the 2019 street catalog. 35 - 54 mm around 40 bucks.

cajun636 likes this.
  11. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Have you tried making one?

Buy the equipment, set it up and maintain it. Amortize it over its useful life. Buy the tooling. Buy the stock. Now that you have all that, start the clock: set up the equipment, layout the stock, machine the necessary bit. Stop the clock. What rate do you charge for your time?

I do it when I have to for all the one-off stuff I need on my vintage and strange race builds. If I can find a $40 fork clamp from Fast From The Past or some other reputable provider, I'll buy it in a heartbeat and I'm thankful I could find it, and that someone bothered to stock the low volume item I needed. I spend a LOT of time and effort making stuff I wish someone would stock and make available.

You're certainly entitled to a very different opinion which is hereby acknowledged, and I am not critical - simply offering a different view, but . . . .

Jus' sayin'.

Cheers,

Dave

12. SBKBee

SBKBee Owner: FZ hotel

I'd also check Street + Competition.

cajun636 likes this.
  13. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

I understand that Dave. However, I’ve been around long enough (not as long as you) to remember buying Pro-tek and 90% of all other brand fork clamps for $20. It’s a Niche piece I get that, because us racers are the only one on the planet who is made the buy these useless things.

I don’t have the machine. But I tell you what, if you have 10 pieces of 41mm clamps, just for you, I’ll buy them all right now for $15 a pop.

14. joec

joec brace yourself

You can't even use normal wrenches on your bikes. Weird parts shouldn't be an issue. Lol

15. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Everything is like double price now from when we got started. I bought my first bike for $6k in 2003. Same bike is almost $12k now. My Arai helmet was $350. My Yosh slip on was $400. Both of those things are closer to a grand now. And it’s not just bikes. Look at car prices. 10 years ago a loaded truck was $40k, now they’re over $70k. Inflation is a bitch.

K51000 and cajun636 like this.
  16. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

We are the old timers now. Some of the reasons I know this:

1. Constantly complaining about how the new generation isn't worth a shit.

2. Grumbling to clerks and the bbs about how items / services used to be half that much!

3. telling stories about races we won / podiumed / had a great battle in that were over 10 years ago

Just sayin'

Phl218, JBraun and cajun636 like this.
  17. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

I know huh!!? Damn it aucks getting old

18. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Get off my Lawn! Ooo my knee...

Phl218 and K51000 like this.
  19. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Not only that....but getting old sucks as well.:D