1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cordless tool sets?

Discussion in 'General' started by EngineNoO9, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Makita make a bunch of tools that take 2 battery packs for more power https://www.makita.ca/index2.php?event=toollist&categoryid=2&subcategoryid=49&subsubcategoryid=77
    https://www.makita.ca/index2.php?event=tool&id=3153&catid=2 you could do some serious work with one of these on a power limited jobsite.

I'd rather run a generator and corded tools when I get to that point, but for some jobsites that's not an option. It's nice to get some increased power without buying into a completely new battery system. I like the little top handle 36v chainsaw they have, might pick one up in the summer, but don't really have a "need" for it, just a want.

2. Dan Dubeau

I think it's Milwaukee that have a torque limiting brake that kills power preventing wrist injuries. There is some serious power behind some of these new battery tools.

3. EngineNoO9

EngineNoO9 Well-Known Member

My father-in-law has a Milwaukee hole hawg that'll real your arms if you're not careful. It's corded though.

4. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Yeap, they all have it in some way.

Visiting one company and Watching them clamp in one of their right hand drive drills into some rig they have, drill into a pressure treated 8 x 8 and just trying to get either the drill or the wood to explode after lock up was wicked awesome. :D

6. Goldie

Goldie Well-Known Member

Another lover of Ridgid here. Love the free battery replacement policy and their tools are very good. I also like the cordless variety they offer like their dimmable LED lights, flashlights, garage heater, and even a battery powered fan. The battery power stuff is great when you don't want to lug around a generator. My favorite thing from Ridgid is their LED Hybrid Light and fan. Makes for quick set up at the track and cleaning deer after last light in a field anywhere. Both are battery powered or can be corded. I like these option if needed.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-...ing-Panel-Light-Tool-Only-R8694221B/207041053

7. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

I have the trimmer / edger, a drill / driver and their better 1/2" impact. All are doing fine so far, and the batteries are too even with them being kept in the unheated garage, although since it has finished heated space on 3 sides (2 walls + above) and this is Virginia not Wisconsin it rarely freezes in there. It might freeze tonight, so I should probably bring my distilled water and batteries inside.

thrak410 likes this.
  8. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Ridgid seemed to improve a lot of their tools since they've gone to 18v, I didn't know about their free battery replacement policy, that's pretty cool!

If not mistaken, pretty sure the entire tool has a lifetime warranty too.

9. Mud Whistle

Mud Whistle Get my icebike ON!

I'm all in on the Ryobi One+. Great selection of tools, reasonable prices (especially tool only prices) and they've held up great to homeowner use for the last 2 years. Agreed, the circular saw is small but I seldom use it. I love the 1/2" impact and the glue gun is awesome. I also just got the brushless angle grinder, performance is good and the spanner stores in the freakin' handle! Why doesn't every grinder have that?

JBowen33 and thrak410 like this.
  10. JBowen33

JBowen33 Only fast on Facebook

I have the ryobi. Great value and they have a ton of tools. Plus they guarantee to always make batteries for their tools.

11. consumer38

consumer38 Well-Known Member

I haven't read though the whole thread to see if its been mentioned yet but there is one brand that does stand out above the rest but might be overkill for home builder use, that's Hilti. I am in the aerospace trade and we use these and they definitely take some use and abuse. That said I cant afford it at home and use Milwaukee there.

Phl218 likes this.
  12. OldSwartout

OldSwartout Well-Known Member

I still have my old Craftsman C3 drill, reciprocating saw and flashlight that I keep in the house and use occasionally. The problema with them were the NiCd battery life in use and overall lifetime before they wouldn't take much of a charge. I picked up their Li-ion batteries and those are great, so it looks like I'll keep them around.

13. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Join the Home Depot e-mail site. They have all this stuff on sale today only.....

Photo likes this.
  14. Photo

Photo Well-Known Member

15. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Y'all beat me to it. $559 Milwaukee set for $299 today only. Hell of a price.

16. Dan Dubeau

17. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Whoever is interested in Milwaukee, make sure you're aware of the '18V cordless' tools, vs. the 'Fuel' branded tools.

The Brushless 'Fuel' tools are considerably more $$.

18. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Hilti always was the standard but then they started doing the plastic cases and people I knew that used these lost their freakin' minds.

These were guys who did specialized construction overseas and once they were onsite if they forgot something or something broke, they were screwed because nothing else came in or if they could, it was at a huge expense.
    They usually bought the best and didn't care about initial costs.

19. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

That 18V set that is $299 looks like a great deal for what I need but it is not the "Fuel" line. Is that really a big deal for normal homeowner stuff?

20. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Scotty, no. You don't need the fuel line. That's for guys who use it every day and use them hard.