1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cordless tool sets?

Discussion in 'General' started by EngineNoO9, Jan 29, 2019.

1. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Milwaukee m12 and m18 fuel line of tools.

The ‘fuel’ brand signifies that they are brushless.

I bought about $1800 worth of thr milwaukee m12/m18 fuel tools over the cyber week sales.

I made my decision by watching head to head comparisons of all the top runner brands on youtube. Milwaukee was best in every category/test possible. The 1/2” impact with 1400 ft/lbs of torque is pretty impressive.

Milwaukee is the priciest of all for sure.

busa99 likes this.
  2. R Acree

R Acree Banned

For homeowner use, the Porter Cable stuff has worked fine for me for several years. Seems like most of the subs I use that make their living with them use Makita or Milwaukee...except one. He uses the cheapest he can find. He says his crews lose or break them anyway, so longevity is a non-issue.

3. Photo

Photo Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
  4. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Milwaukee cordless...M18. I bought 2 sets (drill and 1/2" impact) so I have 4 batteries and 2 chargers. Never have an issue of a dead battery. The impact is impressive. I can't remember the last time I used my air driven impact wrench, even on my tractor with 1.5" wheel lugs.

5. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

I'm in the market for a new cordless impact (probably 2) so I'm paying attention here......One thing:

i plan to use it mostly on bikes, but I'm having trouble finding something with 1/4 or 3/8 drive, like you'd put a socket on. Most of them have that silly recessed head for driving deck screws. The 1/2 drive tools are just waayy too much for bikes, alum cases, etc, IMO that is.

I have Dewalt drills now, and really had no issues, but I am willing to step up for the right tools. I've always liked Milwaukie.

I bought a cheap Ryobi blower as a test, not very impressive but not total crap either.....works fine for the wife blowing off the deck.

I have 3/8 air butterfly style impact, and was looking to get rid of the air.

6. Champer

Champer Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

stk0308, Sabre699, Phl218 and 2 others like this.
  7. OldSwartout

OldSwartout Well-Known Member

I've got a Bosch drill and 3/8" impact, my son has a Bosch 1/2" impact drill, all about 7 years old. They work well and all the batteries are still good. My son has since purchased various Milwaukee Fuel cordless tools from drills, saw, 1/2" impact, leaf blower and others and just loves them. He must have at least a dozen of the tools and never had a problem. Just $$$!

8. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I think Black & Decker bought DeWalt, quite a few years ago now, and that's when the quality started to go to shit. DeWalt used to be good stuff 20 plus years ago.

9. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

This, I have swapped many batteries and tools under the lifetime warranty

10. CharlieY

Yea, appreciate the input, but those are just another piece to fall out and lose. I do use them on my little hand held screwdriver deal.

If I had to I could rough it at the track with that, but when did everything change to those drivers? It suks for us wrenching, but great for those driving screws.

Offering both would seem like a win to me.

11. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

Anyone make a cordless circular saw for wood with the blade on the right side like the corded saws have? Seems like the cordless ones are made for left handed people

12. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

I use those all the time with my impacts. They work great, and they're no more "one more thing to lose" than the sockets you put on the end of them.
    It's DC. Just open it up, reverse the polarity and flip the blade around lol :)

pscook likes this.
  13. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Several of the major manufacturers make both. I prefer right blade out of habit. The left seems awkward after 45 years. Maybe if I used a left blade more often, it wouldn't be so bad.

14. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

Im huge fan of Bosch. Quality is great, but they lack variety.
    Friend of mine is Milwaukee and they make a bunch of cool stuff.

15. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/boschtools-ocs/cordless-impact-wrenches-iwh181-overview-144417-p/

16. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Milaukee makes a M18 1/4" compact impact wrench. I don't have one....yet.

17. EngineNoO9

EngineNoO9 Well-Known Member

I'm having difficulty justifying the massive jump in price with some of these. I do home projects but don't build homes year round. I have some cheaper corded Ryobi saws that work well. My Craftsman drill is used by far the most. It's probably 11 yrs old. Has worked well. Only junk tool is my Ryobi jigsaw I'm not too happy with. It works but I want a nicer one. The deals on the Milwaukee at home depot is intriguing though. I'm not buying into dewalt everything. I know some people do. I've read good things about the kobalt stuff but for the price I feel like I should look at Milwaukee.

18. CharlieY

1/4" impact is the recess for screws, not a 1/4 drive socket......thats the problem.

Yea Dan, I know thats an option, but it is Literally, one more thing to use and lose.....without the adapter, you aint driving nothing with a socket.... Do the units have a magnetic recess? THAT would make a difference. It would need some way to drive a screw straight down and not lose the screw.

Anyhow, I may start looking at Pawn Shops for a 1/4 or 3/8 socket drive, then buy new batteries.

It sounds to me like the units themselves dont die, just the batteries.....fair statement?

19. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Like anything else, they can and do wear out, but batteries are probably the most frequently replaced parts.

20. CharlieY

rafa likes this.