1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OEM parts guys - tough find

Discussion in 'General' started by Scotty87, Jan 26, 2019.

1. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

A few weeks ago I bought a 1984 Honda ATC200S 3 wheeler (because I’m dumb) and also because I wanted something to drag my ice fishing sled around the lake. And also because it’s fuckin rad.

The thing is in great shape, and after a carb rebuild it purrs like a kitten. Predictably, the recoil rope broke the first time I had it out on the ice. Got it all fixed, but the cover gasket needs replacing. It’s a unique gasket the sandwiches a plate and then is recessed into the cover. Point being, I can’t just use RTV.

Looking around online all I can find are gasket ‘kits’ that don’t specify whether or not this one is included, or whole recoil rebuild kits that I don’t need, and also don’t include the gasket.

Either my google ability sucks, or it’s not easily found. Any help?

2. rogers1323

rogers1323 Well-Known Member

joec likes this.
  3. Scotty87

Yep, same here. Can’t find it anywhere.

4. triplestrong

triplestrong Well-Known Member

Call any dealership that uses Lightspeed. They can do a network search to see if any other dealer that has that software has any NOS. You might get lucky.

Ducti89 likes this.
  5. JBowen33

JBowen33 Only fast on Facebook

Can’t you just get a sheet of gasket material and cut out your own?

Sabre699 likes this.
  6. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Reuse the steel inner portion and like said, cut out a new gasket for both sides using gasket material sourced from a local parts store. They make gasket punches for clean holes as well.

Is the thickness of the gasket crucial to the assembly? Maybe even just a really thick paper gasket might work too?

7. Scotty87

Good idea. Was just hoping for an easy find somewhere out there in the web. Nothing crucial at all.

8. WERA#190

WERA#190 Well-Known Member

What’s the Honda part number ?

9. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

Call up Cometic and see if they can make one. I was talking to a rep about head gaskets and custom ones, and he said it was no big deal. Something they do all the time. Best if you can send in one for them to copy.

10. WERA#190

WERA#190 Well-Known Member

11. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

I need some taillight lens gaskets made. The OEM parts catalog shows the part but doesn't indicate a part number; to get a gasket you must buy a whole taillight assembly.

Anyone know where I can get this made? Since the part isn't available from the manufacturer, I could probably buy 100 and resell to others that have this style taillight and need a gasket.

12. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

It only gets expensive if they have to make a set of dies for your job. I've got a $6500 set of dies sitting on a shelf there somewhere.

Shenanigans likes this.
  13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

For what? There are a few gasket/weather stripping companies for old cars out there that might be able to help out. Got a bunch of stuff for Dads Charger from Soffseal.