1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alpinestars Tech Air on airplane or luggage - is it okay to check?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Hardluck700, Jan 24, 2019.

1. Hardluck700

Hardluck700 Well-Known Member

I am planning a trip to Laguna Seca I’m June. I’ll fly there from Chicago and rent a bike.

Can I bring the Tech Air Bag vest as luggage with my other gear? Airlines often have restrictions on compressed cylinders.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Sportbike Track Gear

Sportbike Track Gear We sell some motorcycle stuff sometimes

Yes, you can fly with it. Just be sure to place it in your checked luggage.

From the manual:

Transportation
    Users should be aware that the airbag inflators are pyrotechnic devices, however the TechAirTM system has been classified as ‘Not Dangerous’ with reference to the UN shipping regulations. This means that the system can be safely transported – including by air provided that the airbag vest is checked into the aircraft’s hold as checked luggage. When transporting the vest by air, users are strongly recommended to download and print a copy of the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) in the event they may be questioned by airport staff. This can be downloaded from the Tech-Air™ Data Portal (Section 17) or obtained from your Alpinestars dealer.

Ironically, I've posted this reply from a plane haha

-Jimmy

steve802cc likes this.
  3. Hardluck700

Hardluck700 Well-Known Member

Thanks Jimmy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

Who are you riding with? Track Daz? I was thinking about renting a bike and doing the Trackdaz in June there so curious on your plans.

5. EnvyCycles

EnvyCycles D.RoD

I work at the airport and I have asked several times at the TSA agents as they are the ones that check your luggage bags also and only 1 person said it can fly, the other 5 sups I have asked have told me NO even tough that statement is there.
    I will tell you exactly how one of them told me. It depends who is doing the bag check and how that person is feeling that day and if its cloudy or raining or sunny.
    The biggest problem is that once your bag goes on the belt and TSA checks it and if they say it wont fly, they will just remove it from your bag and give back to the airline and when you get to your destination it will be missing.

I also checked with Fedex air and was told I have to do hazmat paperwork for it and that I have to find a broker to do that. I checked at 2 different Fedex locations.

I recommend shipping it to where you are going via ground shipping.

6. racerx13

racerx13 Well-Known Member

Does track daz rent bikes?

7. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

No but there’s a couple of outfits that do. Not sure which ones will be at the Laguna session yet though.