1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoGP set to retire Nicks number 69

Discussion in 'General' started by eggfooyoung, Jan 24, 2019.

1. ZimZam

ZimZam Well-Known Member

^^^This

2. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Not mad. The world mourned Nicky's passing. He deserves it.

3. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

LRRS was supposedly going to retire #26 for Jimmy Adamo. It only lasted a year if at all. I think we tried to make sure that it was issued to someone riding a Ducati.

4. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Completely different animal although Jimmy getting killed at daytona sucked beyond comprehension.

5. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

I'm torn....retiring a number is a big deal. I'm glad they see Nicky as that big a deal.

I visited Owensboro yesterday. The statue at the convention center is very nice.....their Motorsports Museum was also pretty cool. Nothing superduper like Barber, but I'm glad I spent the $5 to walk thru.

What a nice town. I was completely surprised by some of the modern artistic buildings, of course mixed in with the traditional 100something YO red brick.

I'll always think of 69 as Nicky, no matter what they do.

dieterly likes this.
  6. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

I think I'm kind of with Papa on this one. I think is has been very cool for Hayden Gillim to be running #69 in MotoAmerica, and I hope he gets a shot at a superbike with that number.

7. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

I’m with Papa too. I think Nick should be honored, but I think keeping the number around to one day serve as homage to Nicky would be a lot better than retiring it. Same thing with 58. Would love to see a little Italian or American kid who grew up idolizing one of those guys make it all the way to the big show and run their number as a mark of remembrance. It’s a way to keep their memory alive.

Wingnut and JBall like this.
  8. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

A number is comprised of one or multiple digits.

Humans sure have a weird habit of going all sappy on all sorts of symbolism.

We're an odd bunch...

9. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version