1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Daytona 2019

Discussion in 'General' started by HoyaXC07, Jan 23, 2019.

1. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

AMAPro/200/TV discussion...

Must...resist...:mad:

JBall likes this.
  2. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

There’s nothing like seeing that banking loom like Mt Everest the first time you see it before having to climb up it :)

sanee, G 97 and badmoon692008 like this.
  3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

A conversation I was a part of at a shop in upstate NY a few centuries ago. There was beer involved.
    <Dude one> "Yeah, I'm going to take it up to the wall, run it close and swoop down, pick up at least three spots."
    <Dude two> "On a one-two-five? No you're not, you don't have the power to get up anywhere near the wall. Have you ever even seen the banking?"
    <Dude three> "You got a better chance of climbing a skyscraper using only suction cups than getting up there on that weed wacker."

cajun636 and TLR67 like this.
  4. HoyaXC07

HoyaXC07 Well-Known Member

Thanks! I'll be on a 675 as well.

I'm planning on doing the 600 SS/SB races. My goal is to break 2:00. Any reason to run ASRA over CCS? Basically the same as WERA sprints vs Nationals?

5. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

Totally agreed with staying at the track, it's an awesome atmosphere and ridiculously cool to be able to just hang out at DIS after hours especially on a weekend that's pretty low key.

I'd keep an eye on tires for sure. I've been told to show up with takeoffs as the rubber is harder but I'm not sure how correct that is. My first year there I had no issues running Michelin Power Cup Evos. This year I had two different Bridgestone R11's (both used tires) start chunking pretty bad, and I was running a low 2min pace with my best lap being a 2:00.03. I did run a different take off that was fairly worn in between for two races with no issues but had to take it off as it was shot after my second race just from wear.

It's definitely a conundrum. There's only one or two brands that have a Daytona spec tire, and both times I've been there (in October) the number of tires represented by brands is pretty low, so if you don't run one of the brands that were there you don't even have a tire guy to get advice from. Last year when I was running Michelin I found Melka to try to get advice but he was scrambling dealing with a charging issue so wasn't able to give me much time.

Basically I guess the best advice I can give is find someone who's been there and played with pressures and tires that you trust and get their advice.

6. badmoon692008

ASRA pays cash money if you place well and the races are normally a little longer. On top of that you qualify for your grid position so you get extra track time out of it.

7. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

And hence the reason NOT to run non Daytona spec tires. Why do you want to mess around at Daytona especially when you get such limited track time? So you need to focus on getting the bike set and NOT up running a tire that may chunk or shorten your track time.

MachineR1 likes this.
  8. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pirelli and Brand D offer Daytona tires and have for years.

9. svracer22

svracer22 Well-Known Member

Does Pirelli make a Daytona 160 for the sv?

10. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Won't need a Daytona tire on a LW

MELK-MAN likes this.
  11. HoyaXC07

HoyaXC07 Well-Known Member

Thank for all of the advice!

I've stayed in the track before, it's awesome! You're totally right, it's the way to go.

12. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I hadnt looked at the camping yet but there are alot more paved parking/camp spots now just no power.
    Also they lock the pit garages at 6pm every night so if you need to work on your bike... get it out of there before they close.

13. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

SV are easy on tires so not needed at the big D

14. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Daytona Newbies

With all due respect with peace and love, peace and love.
    [​IMG]
    You are at the fastest track in NA with 600s doing a buck fifty plus and the 1000s are easily over 200mph for a long time. Riding thru NASCAR 3 and 4 and thru the tri-oval you are G loading the tires/bike an extra 4-6 times compared to anywhere else. So you need to be serious about this because it sure ain't little Talladega!

Get the bike prepped well before the event and go over everything! Then when you get there spend some time at the tire garages and run the pressures they give you. Joey Superfast with a yellow plated R3 on Facebook doesn't know shit and won't know pressures for your R6. If needed many suspension guys like Thermos-man are there so find them for help.

You are spending a ton of cash to be there and getting as much track time as you can should be the first priority, right? The Big D is so fun to ride so go do it! And remember a stupid question is the one you didn't ask.

15. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

If you are running Dunlops, the Daytona spec tire is not the same issue it used to be. The new Daytona tires have evolved exponentially over the last 5 years, (especially when they came out with the new 180 rear) and are WAY better than the old ones of just a few years ago. They are the same compound on a different carcass with thinner rubber on the left side so that the tire doesn't overheat when it's g-loaded going around the banking. But the rubber is the same 097 compound they run at most other tracks. You can run a 2:00 lap time on a 600 and never even feel that tire wiggle. There is NO reason to even attempt to run a non-Daytona tire unless you're on an SV.

Pressures are different at Daytona, and they use nitrogen in the tires so you don't get as much of a temp rise. Follow the tire crew's recommendations and you will come away happy.

You will need to soften up your suspension a little, I think last time I took out 3 clicks of compression and 2 of rebound front and -2/-2 rear. It's bumpy there, and too hard in the rear combined with a morning session on a cold tire and the rear can cold tear on you.

Chunking on a Non-Daytona tire comes from the flexing of the carcass (G-loading around the banking) which puts a ton of heat in and the carcass heats up faster than the surface rubber. It boils, then you get a bubble on the surface followed by a chunk of rubber coming out. The thinner rubber on the left side prevents this.

I will help you any way I can. Feel free to PM specific questions but if you've done it in a car, you already know more than you think.

Daytona is a tricky place, everyone who's never been there thinks it's all about the HP, but then they get there and no matter how bad ass your motor is, you have to work hard to get the lap time.

If you want to save a few bucks, don't bother with ASRA. The license is an extra charge over the CCS license, and on your 675 it will only get you one more race (assuming you aren't doing the 200). Just sign up for CCS and you will be eligible for a bunch of MW classes, and HW is all 600's too if you really want to get your track time in. I'm happy to share my notes with you as well if you want.

If you're going to camp, get the form to request a space in the Rider/Owner lot right across from the paddock. It's usually published on the CCS site right around the time the entry opens up. $235 for Wednesday-Monday with full hookups. DON'T book through the track or you'll be out on the concrete with all the Harley guys.

Send me a pic of your number plates and I'll tech them right now for you. :crackup:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
    badmoon692008 likes this.
  16. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

Do the big bikes still have to run metal valve stems? I've never raced here,but had a friend that did a long time ago.
    He also got all his shit stole at the motel,enclosed trailer,and a newly purchased Fred Merkel Muzzy zx7.
    Lots of sticky fingers in Daytona.

17. Jeveritt

Jeveritt Well-Known Member

I ran as many races as I could, I think 8 if I recalled correctly. I never really got into the ASRA races, yeah they pay out and the qualifying session is nice but you still pay more for the race and I was never fast enough to podium in them. Don't be afraid to run the HW races, especially if you have some motor work. It's mostly 600s and a few 750s. The SS 600 races are usually really competitive with large grids something like 20+ riders
    My goal was to get around that 1:57 mark but sub 2 was ok. I like to stay within 10s of the expert Podium riders. Expect the pointy end of AM classes to be 1:57 or less, the Experts can drop into the 1:4-s

18. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Any roadracing motorcycle should have metal valves regardless of Daytona. It's cheap, do it. Right angle front stem makes you happy when you air up the tire, and your tire guy is happy too. :D

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
    TurboBlew and stk0308 like this.
  19. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I thought most race org. required them ?

20. badmoon692008

Your whole post was spot on except this bit. All you need to get an ASRA licence is checking a box on the licence application. You're also required to have an AMA membership but you'd need one anyways to run with CCS on an ASRA weekend.