1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yay Sandman!

Discussion in 'General' started by Yzasserina, Jan 22, 2019.

1. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Congratulations to Mariano Rivera, the first player to be unanimously elected to the MLB HoF! The only professional sports jersey I own.

:clap:

ZimZam likes this.
  2. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Total no-brainer, well-deserved! As a life-long Yankees fan, him and Jeter were amazing to watch over the years. I was fortunate to be there in Toronto when he tied the save record.

3. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

Griffey jr should have been the first unanimous one but no doubt Rivera deserved that honor as well.

Yzasserina likes this.
  4. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

When that song came over the speakers and he starts walking in.....lights out!

Plus he's such a likeable guy.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  5. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

As a lifelong RedSox fan I hated seeing him close. He was great.

6. HPPT

HPPT !!!

OK, hearing stuff like this makes me curious. How does the voting works? Can you vote against someone, or do you just have a certain number of votes and spend them on other people? I'm not into baseball, but I hate everything I know about it. This just sounds like one more thing. I mean, even I know that that guy should be unanimous, and I only know baseball from SportsCenter.

7. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Select group of 400 members from the Baseball Writers of America Association. Need 75% of votes to qualify. Only positive votes count. Have ten years on the ballot. There are also some oddball (old-timer's committee) avenues in.
    (Being non-American/non-Carribean, not surprised you don't like basebol; it's an elegant game :D)

8. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Well, I like football, so I'm not sure it's about geography. A Phillies game at Veterans Stadium was one of the most boring afternoons of my life. :D

Objectively, why would someone not to vote for Ken Griffey Jr?

That kind of political BS, the stupid "unwritten" rules, the pace of the game, etc. I'm definitely the wrong spectator for baseball.

9. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Elegant? :crackup:

Anyway, baseballs excitement level is pegged at 0.

Having said that, I'm signing the boy up to play. Sometimes being a dad is pretty difficult.

10. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

You spelled Pete Rose wrong.

StaccatoFan, Past Glory and Sabre699 like this.
  11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:stupid:

noles19 likes this.
  12. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Me too, I still think they should put Pete Rose in, it's a joke he isn't.

13. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Local guy, Mike Musina, got voted in. Unlike some of you feriners, Baseball is America's game. Getting into the HoF is a big deal and not easy.

14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Can one voter vote for everyone that's on the ballot in a single year, or is there a limit? Could everyone on the ballot get in on the same year and clear the backlog?

15. Dits

Each elector can vote for ten candidates in each given year. A candidate must be up-voted by at least 75% of the electors to get into the HOF.

HPPT likes this.
  16. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

I threw a crappy knuckle curve for a little while because of him :D

17. dsapsis

Since a member only gets a limited (10) votes to cast on a ballot, and I would think some folks would chose not to enter someone like KG Jr. because he's a slam dunk, and they want to promote some more marginal candidate.

18. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Yeah, I guess that makes sense given the limit. But that opens the door for some potentially stupid situations. What if 30% of them had thought that the others would be voting for Ken Griffey?

19. Dits

HPPT likes this.
  20. dsapsis

I was guessing with my idea; reading the article was insightful. It brought to light the past practice often used of not voting for a sure-pick on first year eligibility. How else to explain Willy Mays being excluded from 24 ballots?
    But like most things, things change. The Rivera result will probably usher in a bunch (well, some) of full-consensus picks. Who here want's to guess the next one? I think Jeter will miss a couple, mostly based on missteps as an owner.