1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

best place to get a new RV bunk bed mattress?

Discussion in 'General' started by Hotfoot, Jan 19, 2019.

1. Hotfoot

Hotfoot Well-Known Member

We have a toyhauler with the type of rear bunk that raises up out of the way. It's time to replace the basic pad mattress that came with it, any suggestions for the best place to go for something like that? It doesn't seem like RV stores carry them and mattress stores are likely to be crazy expensive, should I be looking somewhere like Walmart? I'm not even sure of the size, I think they refer to it as queen size but I'm not sure it is standard, and certainly it is not as thick as a home type mattress.

Really appreciate any advice from those who have found a good option, on both what to get and where to get it.

2. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

If you live in/near a large city, you might be able to find someone to make you a futon to your desired specs. Most likely more comfortable, longer lasting, and washable.

Just checked - heck, Walmart offers futon mattresses.

3. Hotfoot

I live in SO CA so I'm sure there is a futon store SOMEWHERE close by. :) I looked on some RV forums and I'm seeing a lot recommendations for an 8" CoolGel memory foam mattress, I searched it on Amazon and they are pretty cheap and shipped rolled up in a box, that might work well. We have been using a foam topper over the factory bunk pad, and that has been OK, but discovered this weekend that the roof vent has leaked and got the topper wet so it went in the trash. I don't want to do another one of those; it was reasonably comfortable but tended to shift around some, I'd prefer to just get a better mattress instead.

4. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

Measure the size. I used to work at a Freightliner dealer and sold truck mattresses. Those might work.

dtalbott likes this.
  5. YamahaRick

I bought one of those types that come rolled up in a box. After getting it out and unrolled, let it air out somewhere for at least a few days, if not longer. Otherwise, the inside of your RV will smell like the exhaust of an unregulated chemical factory in China. You know, where these things are made.

t11ravis likes this.
  6. drop

drop Well-Known Member

7. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

That's the smell of progress...or the fugitive catalysts and such coming out of the foam. One is good good for and the other is bad.

OP, you can try an online place. 1 min google brought up these guys...https://www.mattressinsider.com/rv-mattress.html

Just measure the current one and go from there

8. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

See if a memory foam mattress off Amazon will work. They're inexpensive and the best mattresses I've ever slept on thus far.
    Hell, even if they're not quite a perfect fit, they're awesome for the price.

The mattresses that come in an RV suck. They're almost an immediate replacement item once the RV comes home from the purchase.

9. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

costco or sams would have decent bedding for cheap.
    In mine I bundled 3 3" queen toppers together in a water proof encasement.
    All in it was less than $300 for everything. Sleeps great for me!

I suggest getting something to protect your bedding because of the high humidity in a camper.

Hotfoot likes this.
  10. Hotfoot

Good advice, thank you - which thickness did you get and how is it to sleep on? Comfortable enough? Does it get hot when are sleeping, or cold? I have a Tempur-pedic at home and I love it but in the winter if it is cold in the room the mattress feels like a block of marble when you first lay down on it, freezing cold and hard. (I bought a heated mattress pad for it - best thing ever, should have done that years ago.) I'm a little concerned that a foam mattress in a toyhauler would be freezing cold, at least when you first lay down on it.

11. YamahaRick

The foam mattress I purchased (from Amazon) was for a temporary application; it replaced the mattress that came with the bedframe, which was like a piece of cardboard. It's decent. For an application like yours, I think it would work well. I paid $140 for the item below, now discontinued on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C06NPUS/

Hotfoot likes this.
  12. javyday

javyday Well-Known Member

13. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

14. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

15. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I want the least heat retention without springs.

16. kangasj

kangasj Banned

We got a couple zinus foam mattresses for the boat. Happy with them...amazon.

17. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

Rv mattresses suck. Get a memory foam.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

18. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Check out Ikea too

19. drewthere

drewthere Well-Known Member

I replaced mine with a mattress I like. It's about 6 inches off so my feet are slightly elevated. Rather have that than the pos the RV came with.

20. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member