1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Long Range Shooting Rifle Options

Discussion in 'General' started by BC, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

My 6.8 AR gets more kills then anything I have. SBR, suppressed, and multiple rounds with knockdown power is hard to beat on hogs and deer. Hogs have gotten noticeably worse this year too. It’s crazy

Ordered a magneto speed sporter. After feb I’m chopping the barrel to 20” or 19” on the ctr I think. Dads ctr with 20” is making me jealous of how good it shoots and not being a telephone pole suppressed.

2. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

:crackup: Yeah, those things suck! And they've gotten ridiculously expensive. I'd have considered one back when they were like $400, but I'm not paying a grand for one.

https://www.offthegridnews.com/self-defense/the-ruger-mini-14s-biggest-problem-and-how-to-fix-it/

3. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

wsmc 589 and sharkattack like this.
  4. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

Magnetospeed is great but doesn't work easily for handguns. but if you want it for long guns it's one of the better systems out there (maybe the Labradar but I haven't personally looked at them yet).

5. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

My daughter tried to claim my Mini 14. I had to buy her one of her own. It is a good hunting gun for a little person due to the low perceived recoil, as well as just looking like a gun should look. I have found the accuracy of our pair to be adequate for what we use them for. I think that Ruger redesigned the barrel at some point in an attempt at improvement. No semi auto would be my first choice for precision shooting.

rd400racer likes this.
  6. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

That looks like Big Ben with a digital clock face.

7. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

There are some REALLY GOOD options available now. I believe the military has moved to semi autos for nearly all of their sniper requirements.

8. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

It's quite striking, minus the ads. :Poke:
    :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

renegade17 and rd400racer like this.
  9. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Man, wooden AR's are FUGLY

10. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Maybe, but...
    Got Wood? :D

11. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

I have precision bolt action rifles and precision ARs. I have two precision ARs that will outshoot many bolt guns. You are correct, there are great options now.

12. Kev59

Kev59 Well-Known Member

You guys are smarter than me so answer this: when a BCG profile is described as "full auto", what does that mean?

13. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

It won't make your rifle fully automatic.

14. Kev59

Kev59 Well-Known Member

I know that much, that's why I asked. I was looking at different parts for a build and one of the bcgs was described as such.

15. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

It's referring to the cut at the back of the bolt carrier group:

[​IMG]

16. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

If you want to pay the $$$$$$$$$$ for a sear, or play games with the ATF and use an "off books" drop in auto sear, you would need the full auto bolt.

17. Kev59

Kev59 Well-Known Member

Thanks

18. wsmc 589

wsmc 589 Well-Known Member

Lab radar is a fantastic piece of kit for rifles. They also use it in USPSA matches.

gt#179 likes this.
  19. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

20. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Also not a bad idea if you use one those fancy binary triggers.
    https://franklinarmory.com/franklin-armory-bfsiii-ar-c1/