1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will you ever purchase an electric motorcycle?

Discussion in 'General' started by motion, Jan 18, 2019.

1. EngineNoO9

EngineNoO9 Well-Known Member

I'd buy an electric motorcycle for my daily commute. The current range isn't high enough yet for my comfort without having to charge mid day at work. Price also needs to come down. I'd keep gas for a fun bike.

2. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

I work with the U.S. Navy nuclear submarine community every day and I can tell you this has nothing to do with their choice of non-nuclear propulsion.

bored&stroked likes this.
  3. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

I’m not sure how this turned into a Submarine thread but I’ll keep fueling the fire. The primary reason other countries use diesel electric propulsion plants is due to their lack of technical expertise to implement them safely AND their cost. Even the U.S. Navy nuclear propulsion plants aren’t developed (or owned) by the Navy. They are leased by a well known commercial company.

4. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

..which is likely prohibited from brokering deals with foreign nations.

5. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Got to love the beeb. going nuclear,

Phl218 likes this.
  6. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

I love it too. However, the reality of our household is a hole in the workshop where our kids and our dirt bikes used to sit. Riding honey holes dry up and it becomes a much bigger task to ride in the dirt. We have skate parks, mtb trails, dirt jumps, lakes and every other kind of outdoor activity that isn't affected by the noise a dirt bike produces.

7. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Never say never but I highly doubt it.

8. Captain Morgan

Thanks, you guys made my day, no joke, somehow shitty electric motorcycles turned in to nuclear submarines

bored&stroked likes this.
  9. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

The common denominator is rocket surgery.

10. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Did I miss it but who said that a new nuclear motorcycle was coming?

11. AJ

AJ Well-Known Member

test rode an alta supermoto and instantly fell for it.
    had me doing hooligan stuff in the first corner :)
    sliding the rear is easy because you can actually 'hear' your tire.
    for supermoto trackdays, it's perfect.
    anyone who has ridden one will appreciate it.

Phl218 likes this.
  12. OldSchlPunk

OldSchlPunk Well-Known Member

Like Tim Wilson sang: ...where the f@ck is my jet pack...

Razr likes this.
  13. OldSchlPunk

OldSchlPunk Well-Known Member

The same people that push for electric vehicles are the same ones who constantly try to stop expansion of the electricity grid. They also ignore the damage to the environment done to produce the batteries, the problems with recycling said batteries. I'm impressed with the advances in tech, but it's a long way from being a viable replacement for several reasons, including cost.

I'm a long way from buy-in.

14. G 97

G 97 Garth

$30,000 for the Harley Livewire.
    But it does come in three different colors.

pfhenry likes this.
  15. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

I rode an Alta. I want an Alta. I found a couple for sale that I'm investigating as my dirt bike sits too long between rides, and I'm usually good for 3040 miles, tops, before I head back to the trail head.

16. Captain Morgan

I want my back to the future hoover board that I have always dreamed about, and a 5'6 Cuban girl with dirty blond hair and mental issues

17. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

You want a flying vacuum?

Phl218 and Razr like this.
  18. Captain Morgan

that cooks, cleans, and doesn't talk back, sucks, in a good way?? Yes

19. racesbikes

racesbikes WTB a Size 50/60 Race Suit

No.

20. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

went MTB'ing today... saw not 1 but 4 freaking Giant Trance E+ Pro e-bikes. 36mm forks and 2.6 tires that made my 2.6s look tiny. Good looking bike...asked a few questions about it and the fella didnt seem the type to care "how fast" it was but for some reason tried to tell me he can ride a MTB with 34mm forks to the point of deflection...so the 36mm forks sold him. :crackup: He claimed the bike had a top speed of only 20ish?? But Giant rates it as having 59 ft lbs of torque! MSRP is near $5000! :wow:
    I swear if I could get it to do 20 on the trails... I will be KOM in no time! :D

Ill have to stop by my local shop and give one a whirl.