1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will you ever purchase an electric motorcycle?

Discussion in 'General' started by motion, Jan 18, 2019.

1. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

meh... less than 40mph top speed for a $7400 scooter? Pass.
    The Alta actually makes sense if you hold it for a couple years.

2. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

3. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

I’m thinking the next purchase will be a gas powered tourer. After that, probably an electric dual sport.

4. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

Doubtful, my newest street bike is an 89 so I doubt I'd be in the market for a new electric one.

K51000 likes this.
  5. In Your Corner

How fur have they gone?

6. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

If you live long enough, you will travel by electric vehicle. I doubt that you will be able to control it yourself. The golden age of personal transportation is coming to an end, and with it probably any wide scale manufacturing of two wheeled vehicles.

7. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

bring it on, just stating the fact that electric cars/ motorcycles at this point use more energy/resources than a combustion engine

8. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

9. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

People keep talking about getting an Alta like they are still in business. Did I miss something?

Energy density of batteries still has a long way to go.

10. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

I built my own electric bycicle. 8 years ago.

8 years ago we were all circle jerking each other “oooh, new techs coming!! It’s around the corner. Electric everything is gonna take off...”

Yea I’m glad I didn’t hold my breath. Only new tech that truly came out and revolutionized electric propulsion was the switch from brushed dc motors to 3 phase AC with the advent of brushless controllers and their prices coming down substantially.

Other than that lithium ion batteries haven’t changed much in the last decade nor has their prices plummeted.

Oh and if I hear one more time about supercapacitors being “around the corner” I’m gonna start capping peeps.

11. In Your Corner

They totally lied about us all having flying cars by now too.

12. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

How am I supposed to draw all the wimmen to me at a red light,if I can't bounce my bike off the rev limiter?
    Will the E-bike come with a pre recorded shorty exhaust sound clip?
    I'm not liking this,and where is Robby Bobby?
    Battery bikes are how you queer up a boy:mad:

13. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

That's the other thing...e-anything needs to be shootin' a huge Tesla bolt out the ass on decel, along with the sound of massive amounts of bacon sizzlin'. :rock:

14. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

Working at a certain electric car and solar energy company, and having driven their cars, I can tell you that the acceleration is amazing. Enough so that I'm working out my plan to switch to racing electric motorcycles. The challenge was how to fast charge at the racetrack without depending on the local electrical power or using a gas generator but the solution is very simple. Solar panels on the roof of a trailer combined with a reasonably sized battery pack. Now there's no way that the solar power could supply enough energy for a race weekend, but that's not necessary. The battery pack will be charged every day it sits in my driveway between race weekends. Very similar to going to the gas station and filling up three jugs of gas before every race weekend. The best part is that once built I won't have to pay a dime for the electricity I use.
    BTW, I don't plan to simply participate in a race weekend . I plan to win. It may take some time, but that is the goal. Long term my goal is to develop fast swap battery packs so I can endurance race.

lazlo, beac83 and pscook like this.
  15. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

really? even today most subs are diesel except for the big navies.

16. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Energy density is the bug-a-boo. To stuff that much "juice" (equivalent to say 7 gallons of gas) into a small light weight package will be very difficult. Imagining such a package that is equivalently safe is even more difficult. I don't think today's or tomorrow's technology is up to the task.

17. Timothy Landon

Timothy Landon Well-Known Member

I think I'll wait until the Nuclear powered bikes come out.

JBall, beechkingd and Razr like this.
  18. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Also an important factor... fire/disaster protection. Imagine a 50 yd long sub with 10,000,000 Samsung type battery problems...lol.

19. RGV 500

RGV 500 OLD, but still FAST

No, thank you.

I will go to my grave with an internal combustion engine as a heart and 2 stroke oil in my veins.

969, scottn, ToofPic and 3 others like this.
  20. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

The “noise” a motorcycle makes is one of the many characteristics that I find appealing. The sound of a race bike wide open brings me chills just thinking about it.

ToofPic and crashman like this.