1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will you ever purchase an electric motorcycle?

Discussion in 'General' started by motion, Jan 18, 2019.

1. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

mag? ti? al u mini ium ? looks 3d printed for sure... frame looks crude AF for a structural carbon layup

2. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

stanley steamer small.jpg

I work in the steam industry and at a technical meeting they had a presentation about the Stanley Steamer, and a guy brought his car to our company and gave rides. Actually it had a lot of torque and was fast (for a 90 year old car). Note the steam whistle and the garden hose inside the spare tire. You need the hose because it has a range of about 25 miles and then he needed to stop and fill it up with water again. The guy said he would just take water out of a ditch or a pond. It used jet fuel (basically kerosene) to fire the boiler, and acetylene to vaporize the fuel on start up. It had all kinds of tubing and valves under the floor boards - a total hoot on the ride.

sheepofblue and pfhenry like this.
  3. JBall

By the way, this is my impression of electric bikes. When you can gas them up in 5 minutes so you can do a 500 mile day, I'll look at them.

OldSchlPunk likes this.
  4. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

When was the last time you did a 500 mile day not in an airplane or an 8+ hour endurance race?

5. JBall

Round trip to PittRace last summer for the MotoAmerica races. I guess my electric bike could have recharged during the day while we were there, but I doubt if it would have made it all the way home.

6. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Woulda been under 500 if you knew where the fuck you were going :D

Monsterdood and JBall like this.
  7. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

You mean except for everyone in the world that operates subs besides the US and the brits?

8. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

To all the "electards" out there, where do you think power comes from at your battery charging station??? How are those batteries made??? By an eco friendly hippie with his dog trying to sell you a car that magic power comes from fairy dust?? Hybrids have their place, but full electric has been proven to take more than just a regular gas car

OldSchlPunk likes this.
  9. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Not if it has a caterpillar drive. :D

Past Glory likes this.
  10. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

US, Russia, and China (limited) are really the only ones that count. Anyone else with a sub is a novelty.

Cannoli likes this.
  11. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

That's what will have to change. Battery tech will have to advance to the point that they aren't made out of precious metals mined in destructive fashion, and electricity production will need to move to some sort of virtually inexhaustible source (like clean/safe nuclear).

12. onenut

onenut Well-Known Member

Considering my newest bike I just got is an 01. I will be in the market for one in 18yrs if any from today are still around and usable, but I'm assuming they will be like phones/electonics by then and pretty much useless. And new ones will still be more than I would spend on one. Unless they make something about 5k thats light and goes 95+ mph by then..

13. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Valid point, except the diesels from those guys are getting thru our defenses and to the aircraft carriers. With the tech the swedes have they are a fairly viable option again.

14. Eight Screws

Eight Screws Well-Known Member

There are some cool ebikes coming out

I think if was to get a dirt bike it would be an Alta and if I had $30k just lying around it looks like Energica are going to sell a copy of the their Moto E bike

15. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

If I had loot to spare I’d get an Alta Redshift dirt bike. The stealth factor makes it a perfect suburban toy. It’s actually pretty high on my moto want list right now.

At the other end of the spectrum is the Kawi H2 sport tourer. I just saw Brocks has a killer 240 hp tune for them that isn’t even that expensive.

Razr likes this.
  16. 2Big4Bike

2Big4Bike Well-Known Member

I'll buy an electric bike right after I buy my gasoline powered laptop. o_O

ToofPic, crashman and JBall like this.
  17. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

how is going to change it??? as of now its a fact that driving a tesla around will not make any more difference on the environment than rolling a 98 suburban around

18. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I guess I need to ride one to reserve judgement, but at least for my sport bikes and race bikes, the mechanical aspect is crucial for me. If I'm on a trail with a KLR650-type bike, it might be nice to have a quiet machine so I can hear more of the natural surroundings. There really is no point in listening to a KLR motor :)

Same probably holds true for my touring... the Africa Twin 750 isn't that pleasing to listen to.

Commuter scooter, yeah for sure.

19. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

No shit, as of now. Just like everything else, tech will progress. 30 years ago cell phones were for the wealthiest only and they were cumbersome pieces of junk. Today everyone (and I mean EVERYONE) carries a little computer constantly connected to the internet with access to virtually every bit of knowledge, EVER.

If you think for a second that the Teslas on the road today are the peak of battery tech you’ve either had way too much, or not nearly enough, rum today.

K51000 likes this.
  20. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Solid State batteries are coming very soon...