1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will you ever purchase an electric motorcycle?

Discussion in 'General' started by motion, Jan 18, 2019.

1. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Ducati appears to be close to going into production on an electric bike. Won’t be too long before all of the manufactures have something.

Do you see yourself purchasing one?

I don’t. They do nothing for me. Never gonna happen.

If the millennial’s aren’t into motorcycles, who will be buying these things?

2. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I'd buy a small m/c or scooter for commuting with the following specs:
    capable of 80 mph
    100 mile range at 70-75 mph (in real world conditions, not at the brochure)
    under about $6K

I honestly don't see all those boxes being checked in my lifetime.

speeddaddy likes this.
  3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I've finally accepted that they are the future. . . in cars and maybe suvs. Cars are about getting from A to B for most people and they don't care if their car is electric or gasoline. They are stupid but not my problem.

Motorcycles are more about passion. You think with your heart more than your brain.

aaronson likes this.
  4. jd41

jd41 Well-Known Member

ajcjr, Chris and Newyork like this.
  5. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Does it go fast?

Does it wheelie?

Then yes.

zrx12man, pscook and Murcielago311 like this.
  6. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

7. JBowen33

JBowen33 Only fast on Facebook

Something like a Z125 or Grom size to mess around on with at least a 100 mile range... yeah deff. A full size street motorcycle hell no. Defeats the reasons I ride motorcycles.

Maybe the only electric full size bike I’d buy would be an enduro dirt bike because people would bitch less about the noise at places that are “frowned” upon to ride at.

That being said I rode a zero supermoto/ enduro thing and it did nothing for me. I rather have drove my truck.

8. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

The new electric Vespa looks pretty good as an urban commuter.
    I'd probably get an electric motorcycle if they become mainstream.

9. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

China is full up with electric scooters. They seem to have pretty good range but no idea on what the top speed is.

10. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Don't see why not.

An electric motor has shit loads of torque.

As mentioned before, if range/speed is acceptable for the commute....

11. spoon32

spoon32 Huh???

12. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

If I wasn't racing, the Alta would have been a perfect trail / play day sumo bike for me.

pscook likes this.
  13. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

They are the future according to many. Thankfully, I'll eventually die and not have to live in that future. I sure as hell ain't buying one. Or renting. Or riding.

VFR#52, StaccatoFan and jrsamples like this.
  14. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

Absolutely. Noise is such an issue it's hard to understand an enthusiast not being excited about the future and the options this hopefully opens up.

SuddenBraking, Chris and jd41 like this.
  15. COOP 1

COOP 1 Well-Known Member

DRye likes this.
  16. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

At some point, a form of electric propulsion will replace internal combustion. It’s still got a way to go to replace all the infrastructure gas has, but it’s hung to happen. The tech is improving by leaps and bounds and before long, the battery tech in use now (still basically a bunch of laptop batteries wired together) will be ancient news.

17. Hotfoot

Hotfoot Well-Known Member

I would love to have a dual-sport trail bike so that I can ride fire roads and forest trails without being loud and without having to worry about spark arrestors and fire hazards. It would also be nice not to have to worry about the fuel system getting clogged up if it sits without being used for a long time. I'd have one already except that they are SO much more expensive than a gas bike, and concerns about range and weight, but I think those last two have been improved a lot lately. The only bike I have seriously looked at was the Zero, are there any other dual sport models around I should check out?

wsmc 589 likes this.
  18. ton

ton Arf!

dirtbike: hell yes.
    scooter: hell yes.
    sport touring/streetbike: nope. part of the experience for me on canyon rides is the more visceral stuff like a little mechanical noise.
    racebike: not yet (too heavy still)

418 and pfhenry like this.
  19. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I liken it to the navy. Nobody would even consider a non-nuclear submarine in today’s world,

20. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Same shit was said 120 years ago.... not holding my breath

418 and Captain Morgan like this.