1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

yzf-R(z)3(50)

Discussion in 'General' started by Phl218, Jan 15, 2019.

1. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Friday track days before the race weekend are run by TrackDayz.

2. xTomKx

xTomKx Well-Known Member

We should talk. I have a perfect donor for that project.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

CVMA is a race org, used to be part of the track but not sure now. They don't do trackdays, just races.

4. zrx12man

zrx12man Captain Amazing

Are you sure? I was wondering why an R3 would be functionally better than an original RZ350 frame. Apples to apples (upgraded suspension), surely the RZ can carry better corner speed than an R3, just due to frame construction and geometry.

5. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

Have you ever raced an RZ350? Every single frame that I've had was not straight, and my understanding is that they came from the factory that way. Also, it's not like the stock RZ was some sort of rigid structure, as the frame flexed pretty noticeably when you put decent tires on it. The stock forks were spindly and the steering head needed additional bracing if you wanted to run slicks. That said, I've got no idea how rigid an R3 chassis is, and how they mounted the engine in the thing could as much determine how well the chassis worked.

6. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Can’t tell if serious or joking.

7. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Nope, not sure at all. The RZ was a bit before my time, but just looking at pics the frame design looks similar, but the R3 forks look much bigger (diameter).
    edit- I'll defer to the old guys above...

zrx12man likes this.
  8. Phanuel

Phanuel Well-Known Member

They just chopped out the lower frame engine mount from the banshee and replaced the lower engine frame on the R3 frame with it. Not much else was done from I saw watching the episode outside of fixing some R3 crash damage and modifying the R3 tank to feed enough fuel to the 350.

Phl218 likes this.
  9. zrx12man

zrx12man Captain Amazing

Quite serious. I do understand the design basis for the RZ350 frame, I was asking what is the basis for the R3 frame? The RZ evolved from a 350GP class frame design and the results reflected that in light weight and mid-corner stability in typical Yamaha fashion. The R3 strikes me more as a budget-first scooter frame at best. Newer does not necessarily equal better.