1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just sold my TL

Discussion in 'General' started by Banditracer, Apr 29, 2015.

1. 418

418 Expert #59

2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

you just described every cult bike Ive ever owned. Like noahs arc... had to have at least 2...lol.

3. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

4. Steve H

Steve H Well-Known Member

Finally got the TLR back together with 1080 cc pistons, 12:1 (real measured) compression and exhaust cams on the inlet side - which means no decompression system.

Started and ran really well a few times, then the starter motor failed. Well the starter motor still turns the engine over with the spark plugs out, but is not even close to getting it over compression. Maybe it was already on its way out and just failed with the extra load - or maybe the stock starter motors are just not up for this game.

Have looked on the TL forums without much luck...

Would greatly appreciate any ideas about starter motors for big bore / high compression TLR´s

Thanks ! Steve H.

5. I’m still trying to find a decent cb900f that I can modernize a bit.

6. You may be able to contact a local shop that specializes in alternators and starters and have them upgrade the motor. I know a few guys locally with motor transplants in cars that have done that as they couldn’t use larger starters.

Steve H likes this.
  7. Notfast

Notfast Well-Known Member

Battery good? One of Sam’s recommendations back when I was building my 1080 was to take a few mm off the peak of the piston to cut down on compression. When he was building 1080 engines for others (or selling his kits), he would take 2mm off for race engines, 4mm for street, unless someone requested otherwise. His 1080 runs at 14:1. My 1080 is 12:1. Although it doesn’t get started all that much these days, never had any issues with the starter.

I haven’t been on TLZ since Jensen sold it, am still on TLP though. If you need a starter, let me know. I have a few spares, price is whatever shipping costs.

Steve H and TLR67 like this.
  8. Steve H

Steve H Well-Known Member

Thanks ! Seems my problem was that I had relocated the battery - away to where things are a bit cooler. That required a significant additional length of wire from the battery to the solenoid. Was no problem at all with the stock engine. But with the big high compression engine the motorcycle battery had to be right off the charger for it to work. When we ran a jumper lead from my truck battery directly to the starter motor terminal, it spun up just fine...

9. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Yeah they mount them short on the cylinders for that reason... remember reading up on that...

10. Notfast

Notfast Well-Known Member

Moved the battery on my S to the R location for several reasons, shorter distance was one.

11. Banditracer

12. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

13. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Was that formerly yours? Fucking buy that shit. Good price.

14. Banditracer

Yeah, looks like it's still there.

RRP likes this.
  15. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

I was really tempted when you had it for sale couple years ago.

16. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

17. JTRC51

JTRC51 El Speedy Gonzalez

@TLR67 has a great bike someone here can rebuild for track or a mean street machine.

TLR67 likes this.
  18. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

New colors for 2019.... Big thanks to Mitch Cato for shooting the paint.....
    [​IMG]

Banditracer likes this.
  19. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Banditracer and JBall like this.
  20. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Marc - is that the wreck or ?