1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ninja 250R guys: suggestion on tires/wheels

Discussion in 'Tech' started by JimboF, Jan 14, 2019.

1. JimboF

JimboF Member

Hi all,

I would like some suggestions from the 250R guys. I'm new to being on the track and I bought a '04 Ninja 250R w/ 6500mi for $500. I'm prepping it for track and racing. It needs new tires but it appears that 16" tires are all but gone. Are there any good track tires for the bike in 16"? If not, am I going to have to buy '08-'12 17" wheels? I am hoping to do it on the cheap until I really learn what I'm doing.

Thank you,

Jimmie

2. genosr1

genosr1 Well-Known Member

buy an 08 plus already set up, they are cheap and plentiful

3. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Bridgestone BT45 or Pirelli Demon are the 16" tires of choice, if memory serves. However, you can always upgrade the wheels to 17" by using 1995+ EX500 wheels or 2008+ Ninja 250 wheels. It require a simple bracket modification for the rear (I have a spare somewhere), but the front is a bit more complicated. It can be done by building a new caliper bracket and spacers up front, if you are willing to undertake that endeavor. Otherwise it's the BT45 or Demons. The nice part is that tires last forever on those bikes.

4. JimboF

JimboF Member

Gensor1....the bike is already purchased. I don't expect the set up to be difficult. Since I am just learning the track, I'm not too worried about speed as much as I am about safety and technique.

5. JimboF

JimboF Member

I don't have a problem with fabrication, I just didn't want to spend a bunch of money off the get-go.

6. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

I'm in a similar boat as you Jimbo. I picked up a cheap, well basically free, 01 EX250 to use as a track toy. I haven't mounted new tires yet, but will probably go with the BT-45's. The 100/90-16 isn't available anymore so you'd have to raise the front fender to go with the 110/90-16. The 130/90-16 rear is still available. It does look like the Pirelli Sport Demon's are still available in 130/90-16 and 100/90-16.

I thought about doing the wheel swap but honestly don't want to put the money into this particular bike. Too many other projects that could use it.

7. genosr1

genosr1 Well-Known Member

then definatly go with 08 plus 17'' wheels, cheap on e-bay and the Pirelli diablo super corsa 110-70 sc1 front, and a rosso 2 rear

8. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

If you go 17” we stock the Bridgestone R11’s and we’ve got some new stuff coming from Dunlop that should be here in a day or so.

9. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Now time for a shameless plug for my former employer:rolleyes:

The supercorsa race front with a rosso 2 street rear works well and was proven in the cbr 250 series in CSBK. And the rosso 2 price is very nice.

Or you can run race tires with two choices of rear compounds. Finally, Pirelli has some new small bike products coming this year too.

10. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

To bump a thread - I just picked up a prepped Ninja 300. Their are SC1s with some tire life on the bike, but I don't have warmers currently and money is getting tight for this season, so tires and a generator are out.

The previous owner included a brand new Rosso III front, and a Rosso II rear in the 140. Would you mind sharing your opinion on how those tires will handle mid-intermediate pace, and any pressures you'd recommend? I plan to eventually pony up for the TDs, but if I can postpone that until next season, I'd be in great shape regarding my track day finances this year.

Thank you in advance.

11. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Before we introduced the race tires in the smaller sizes the World SS 300 series used the Rosso IIs. And up in Canada we used the same tires in the CBR250 series a few years ago, so for a bike like a 300 that's not hard on tires these are surprisingly good for racing or track days.

Air pressures are attached

Attached Files:

Senna likes this.
  12. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Thank you!