1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Long Range Shooting Rifle Options

Discussion in 'General' started by BC, Oct 20, 2016.

1. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Exactly.

2. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

Took my tikka 6.5 ctr out to 1k yesterday. did 100,500,600,750 and 1k. Man that was fun and the Athlon ares ETR tracked perfectly and was easy to see my hits at 1k.

This spring should be fun. I'm planning on getting out there a bunch.

lizard84 and Newsshooter like this.
  3. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

So how have you liked the.224? There are a lot of decently priced uppers available in the Valkrie right now and I'm thinking about picking one up. Do you think there will be a huge difference between a 22" barrel vs a 24?

4. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

From what I have gathered about the Valkyrie is that unless you are pushing the 90gr SMK above 2900fps, its kind of a waste of time because it doesn't stabilize, thusly the accuracy suffers. There were a few people shooting them locally for PRS matches, and I know one for sure abandoned it. He's been shooting a 22 Creedmoor and is much happier with it.
    I think a lot of it depends on what you're going to use it for.

5. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

I had been hoping that the Valkyrie was going to help with the proliferation of 6.8 magazines and bolts but so far not too much. I"m guessing that in the next year as folks try it and find it lacking (depending upon their use) more stuff will come up on the second hand market. The better 6.8 mags are expensive compared to magpul 5.56 mags, but most of these guys are coming from AICS mags, so $50/ for PRI or Barrett mags is fine. lol.

not sure if I posted in this thread but around thanksgiving I put a PVA John Hancock on order. I assume I won't see it for a while (about the same time my 22 and 45 cans get out of jail lol) but will be my first foray into longer range shooting. 6.5CM so gives me time to buy dies, brass, bullets, etc.

any of you guys do any PRS matches around the SE? I might try to go to one of the one day MPA matches after I get the rifle and some instruction on how to shoot the thing.

6. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

I haven't done it yet. I kept hearing mixed reviews (like Chad said) and decided to wait a bit and let the early adopters work the bugs out. It sounds like some of the factory rifles were not shooting well, and it has taken some time to get good cartridges going.

I still plan to do it. I plan to build an upper. I'm thinking JP bolt, Rainier Ultramatch barrel (I have good luck with them and they seem to have a great .224 barrel). Otherwise it would be just buy a JP upper. It sounds like people are really liking the Hornady 88gr ELD the most, or loading their own.

As mentioned, it depends on what you want to do with it. I spend a lot of time with a .223 wylde chambered AR shooting 77gr SMK and it's a blast to shoot but I want to push it farther so another upper in .224V is the easy button to accomplish that. It won't beat my bigger caliber rifles, but I'm not trying to replace them.

What upper are you looking at?

7. rd400racer

Bear Creek Arsenal has a 22" and 24" on sale for around $230. I know very little about them but I bought a 7.62x39 upper from them this past week for $200 and they shipped it to me in two days. I'm impressed by their service...now I need to see if it's a decent upper. Haven't even received my mags for it yet so haven't tried it. The.224 upper is stripped but the 7.62 I got was complete.

AR15 stuff is so cheap right now that I'm buying it up because it can't last. Looking at a little bit of everything available.

8. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only guy that's into gun/shooting, but doesn't own an AR, and don't really have a desire for one.

9. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

How dare you call yourself a firearm owner! :beer:

10. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

Ain't that the truth! I've resisted so many good deals lately. I need to stop looking because I have other things that I have to spend money on right now.

Yes you are. :p

11. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

anyone have a mangeto speed? If so is it worth it? I feel like I'm reloading a little bit blind without one

12. surfingsk8r

surfingsk8r Well-Known Member

I have one. I like it a lot. Simple and effective for my reloading purposes.

13. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I have a Sporter version. I think a Lab Radar is a much better option as opposed to the V3 or whatever the one is other than the Sporter, but the Sporter is a good value.

14. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

I've got a sporter with a mount for the pic or arca rail. Works well enough for me to do load work ups.

15. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

You are not alone. To me, a gun needs to be aesthetically pleasing as well as functional. Plastic just doesn't do it. My Mini 14 will do any task I might ask of an AR15 without the cereal box Transformers toy vibe.

16. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Those guys have like 6 uppers actually in stock. They're sold out of nearly everything.

17. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Just as with the Mini-14, AR15 furniture is changeable.
    stylish-ar-15-wood-furniture-kits-wood-furniture-for-ar-15-wood-furniture-ideas.jpg

Chris likes this.
  18. Need a coyote gun for the weekend, AR is getting some upgrades. Since I’m not keeping the hides was thinking going overkill with a 308.

19. rd400racer

I saw that. They sent me an email Friday on the.224's and they were sold out this morning.

20. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Except the accuracy part :)

blkduc and rd400racer like this.