1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tahiti

Discussion in 'General' started by Pittenger5, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Pittenger5

Pittenger5 Well-Known Member

Anyone been to Tahiti? Tips, tricks, advice? Tahiti is the general idea, but other islands in the area are a possibility if they're better.
    Looking to do some surfing (beginner), hopefully some outdoorsy stuff, hiking and such. Want to do a few nights at one of those over water bungalows, but mostly at a less expensive place, would like to avoid "corporate-y" hotel type places unless they're worth it.

2. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

Yes. Maybe spend a day or two on the main island but then get away to an island like Moorea. If you wanna go diving go to Rangiroa. Bora Bora is gorgeous but super over priced.

There isn't a ton of surfing there for beginners to rock up to honestly. The spots are more difficult to find and I couldn't find a place to rent a board to save my life. I wound up having to take a surf school just so I could use a board, then just went out and surfed on my own.

Moorea fits the bill for most of what you're looking for in my opinion and I know there is great surf there but you'd have to take your own board and talk to locals to find the spots...which are all a pretty hefty paddle to the reefs...

3. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Your going all the way to French Poynesia...if you arent get certified to dive. Even if you dont make it a 'dive trip' you cna get a few dives in.

4. BigBird

BigBird blah

Been to Bora Bora many moons ago, about 13 years ago to be exact. They do have a rainy season, so plan accordingly.

Definitely get a hotel room over the water if you do make it out there. The water was amazing, all sorts of blue and warm. Skies were clear, food top notch, and back then they had the same amount of visitors in a year that Hawaii got in like a week.

Don't buy the pearls there, they are real and all that but a lot of $$. The guide on one of the excursions was like you can't get lost. 20 minutes later you'll end up back right here.

The Tour of the main island in Bora Bora was cool, saw some old US military base artifcats, some pearl farming. Did some trips on boats to go swimming with Stingrays, and sharks and swim in some deeper waters where you could see the coral reef. I forget what type of area Bora Bora is on, but it is shallow, shallow and then get deep.

I hate traveling, and boats and water, but once you go there it makes almost every other island area feel 3rd rate. It definitely spoils you.

Sent from my smatrfone

5. ChemGuy

I dont know how your planning this, but Costco has packages to Tahiti and other pacific islands.

6. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

:stupid:

And from what I can tell they’re pretty decent deals. I’ve been eying the South Pacific vacations for awhile now. We used Costco for our St. Martin trip and it was an excellent experience.

7. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

I'm not even a surfer and i'd LOVE to see this, you know, after shitting my pants and having the captain hammer down. :D Dunno when the swell gets big but, just damn!

[​IMG]

Ducti89, Jed and Chris like this.
  8. Pittenger5

Ha, I might have to get certified. The Mrs cant dive, but Im sure I could sneak away for a dive or two

9. Pittenger5

They all seem to be for like 5 day packages though, am I looking at them wrong?

10. ChemGuy

Seems like the default is a 'week'. You may have to email or call for longer trips.

Have fun...

11. Pittenger5

A month away from heading to Moorea and Bora Bora for 2 weeks. Anything I should definitely not miss?

trussdude and BigBird like this.
  12. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

Get out of your hotel one night and go to eat dinner at La Villa Mahana on Bora Bora

Expensive but honestly one of the best dining experiences I've ever had...

Also, a night at Bloody Mary's restaurant is well worth it!

13. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

Say hi to Moana for me.

rice r0cket likes this.
  14. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

Funny to see this. I’m in Moore’s right now and headed to Bora Bora in about 2 hours. So far it’s fucking amazing. Been living on tropical fruits, fresh fish and booze for 3 days. Swam with some whales one day, checked out a sea turtle rescue, went to the beach and went up in the mountains. When I get more time I’ll post up what our favorite spots to eat and drink have been.

My kitchen this week...
    1E849C9B-CC51-435B-AC2B-0A49075C3E93.jpeg

The intercontinental where the turtle rescue is... 7BF4E6F7-4EF8-4B4E-B8B8-C68A7D722442.jpeg

Ducti89, ChemGuy and BigBird like this.
  15. cpettit

Dinner last night
    197B771E-820D-45AD-96C7-0C2C5B8A680A.jpeg

Boat ride....

021ECDD3-F8B2-42FD-A188-B84A85ACCAB6.jpeg

trussdude, Ducti89, ChemGuy and 2 others like this.
  16. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Thats like 7 stories high...

17. Pittenger5

Pretty sure we're staying at the intercontinental, in one of the places anyway.

18. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Yea, the scariest part is the fooking reef right under, you can see the water falling off the shelf of it. NO WAY!

Its an international warning sign when water recedes, back off!

Ducti89 likes this.
  19. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Yeah. Crazy. I cant surf for shit but i still love it.

20. cpettit

Just got back sunday after going to Tahiti, Moorea, Bora Bora, Tikehau and Rangiroa. They were all awesome in their own way but i liked Moorea and Tikehau the best.

On Moorea we liked:
    https://goo.gl/maps/XSkGpE44s2QuF4bL6

https://goo.gl/maps/vDhyLZKaEA14qTXB6

https://goo.gl/maps/yai4HDJihVqFQ4k9A

https://goo.gl/maps/gRYpkEdU7MNbE4tM7

We rented a car and drove all over. You can take a boat to just outside the reef and swim with whales and its pretty damn cool. Opt for a life vest if you aren't a great swimmer. It's not joke when you have to swim 100 yards through open ocean. There are a few beaches on the island but you should go check out the coco beach small siland. You can go here and rent a little boat or kayak and go there without booking a boat ride ahead. apparently they get booked up real fast.
    https://goo.gl/maps/gRYpkEdU7MNbE4tM7

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
    BigBird likes this.