1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lap Timer Advice??

Discussion in 'Tech' started by africanjon, Jan 11, 2019.

1. africanjon

africanjon Active Member

I am in the market for a lap timer and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations? I am a newbie at the track so not sure what to get?
    Thanks
    Jon

2. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

Get a transponder instead and grid up. Following faster guys will do more for you than any lap timer could.

2OLD2BFAST likes this.
  3. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

For cheap thrills, velcro an old smartphone to your dash and run the Racechrono app. Its within .1 sec of the official transponder based lap times.

Ethan Wakefield likes this.
  4. africanjon

africanjon Active Member

Whats the difference between a lap timer and a transponder? Excuse my ignorance!

5. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

transponder is used by the race org. to score/time you, has no display. You must rent or buy one to race. A lap timer is for you to record your laps and has a display. Fancy ones also have data logging built in. The popular one nowdays is the AIM Solo2 at around $400

africanjon likes this.
  6. africanjon

africanjon Active Member

Thanks, makes sense.

pefrey likes this.
  7. javyday

javyday Well-Known Member

AIM Solo or Starlane Athon are nice laptimers.

8. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Fixed.....

9. duc995

duc995 Yep…

I tried that with an old iPhone 4s and no worky without a cell connection...

10. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

Theres a way to work around that. You just need to download the track in the app using wifi at home. I dont have a cell connection on the android im using racechrono with.

11. mdhokie

mdhokie Well-Known Member

I got the aim solo 2. Love it. I like using the data to see where I am faster and slower on different laps.

12. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

If you're on a budget, something like this is probably the cheapest way to give you a *pretty close to accurate* lap time. Down side is that you have to have a beacon at the side of the track to send a signal to your timer. Not always convenient to do. I can't vouch for this specific model, but there's a whole bunch of variants like this one.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/190689146621

13. CafeRacer

CafeRacer Well-Known Member

When I was getting started, I used a dedicated timer that relied on an infrared beacon. I had to place one at start finish or rely on the track organization to have one (they all used to).

GPS has gotten cheaper and more prevalent and so there are good solutions like apps for your phone that are, "close enough".

What's the purpose of a lap timer? To track your progress?

14. africanjon

africanjon Active Member

Yes, was thinking it would be a good way to track progress.

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  15. JimboF

JimboF Member

The easiest and cheapest way, in my opinion, is to buy a Garmin 500 series or higher bicycle computer. The Garmin computer can be found very cheap used because cyclists are getting rid of them. They will use GPS to track you and it gives lap times. You may want to research it but you can find used Garmin's for $50-$100 from the Facebook marketplace.

16. Ra.Ge. Raptor

Ra.Ge. Raptor wanna_be_fast

is there any other purpose? it's the very reason you hit the track , having the "luxury" of measuring your competence!

17. mike-guy

mike-guy Well-Known Member

I see a lot of slower guys all by themselves in races though. Even more so then during a trackday. At a trackday you'll constantly be getting passed by people and can try to hang even if for only a corner or two. For myself a big lap timer in my face pushes me, at times a little too much. A lap timer is motivation, it's bragging rights, it's a way of seeing progress. AIM Solo btw is my suggestion.

18. CafeRacer

CafeRacer Well-Known Member

Faster guys may be evaluating setup changes and their effect on lap times. There are places where accuracy is more or less important.

If this is about a newer rider seeing if they're getting faster, the bicycle computer idea is an excellent one.

Be aware though, that dumb stuff happens when you think you're being timed.

mike-guy likes this.
  19. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Fixed.
    :D

YoshiHNS and Ra.Ge. Raptor like this.
  20. JimboF

JimboF Member

I missed this "Get a transponder instead and grid up. Following faster guys will do more for you than any lap timer could". I do and don't agree. When you are following a person, it's easy to get towed along and not have to think too much about entry and exit speed because the guy in front of you is doing it for you. But when you are out in no man's land, you have to negotiate the corners on your own experience. I think that having both will benefit you much better than just following a guy in front of you.

emry likes this.