1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer guys - excel/Microsoft help needed

Discussion in 'General' started by zamboiv, Jan 11, 2019.

1. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

it’s not excel formula help, it’s excel itself. I bought a new Dell i5-2.6ghz 64 MB system literally for the purpose of the internet and office. That’s it. Excel is brutally slow to the point that it’s unusable. I use excel on office 2010 everyday and it’s lightening fast at work.

Online I’ve read others are having this problem and it sounds like the new versions of office are garbage.

Has anyone here had this issue? If so how did you fix it? Is there a way to get an older version?

I was minutes from throwing my new computer into the street last night.

Worst part is I bought this thing because I’ve taken my college basketball handicapping to a new level and now I can’t implement a lot of what I want to do because I can’t get the data downloaded and code written to backtest it properly.

2. Chris

Chris Keepin' it old school

How much RAM does your machine have? I run the latest office suite without issue, but my laptop is a beast.

3. zamboiv

64 MB Ram

I literally have wiped all the LinkedIn , Skype bullshit that came on it off.

4. Chris

64 Megabytes??? That can't be right.

5. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

64MB might be your issue. Now if you had 64GB it shouldn’t be... :D

That should be enough firepower for excel unless you’re importing extremely large datasets or a huge amount of lookups, which you shouldn’t use Excel for anyway.

My guess is that one of the services on which Excel is dependent is broken or something else is broken in the OS. The new version of Excel is buggy so I wouldn’t doubt it. Ask the folks at stack exchange. Someone will know, but give more details if you can other than “slow”. They’re a bit testy.

6. Chris

Go into windows explorer, right click on "This PC" in the left hand navigation and click "Properties". Look at the system portion and see what it says for installed memory.

7. Chris

Here is mine for example:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

64mb of memory, 8bit OS :D

Chris likes this.
  9. Chris

He plugged a monitor into a potato to play SkiFree.

10. zamboiv

Sorry it’s GB. And it’s 12 - I just looked it up on the registration online.

I’ll mess with it more when I get home.

A simple vlookup across 100 rows will take 5+ seconds to calculate. Literally the spin you blue thing pops up. I’ve manipulated thousands of rows across multiple books, etc and never had this problem.

Get new computer and it’s a mess.

11. Chris

Have you run system updates yet if you just purchased it? Start>Settings>Update & Security>Check for updates

That would be the first place to start.

12. zamboiv

I did it when I purchased it a few weeks ago. I’ll try it again.

13. Chris

14. zamboiv

Thx. I’ll give it a go.

Chris likes this.
  15. Chris

Let us know if it works.

16. Sportbike Track Gear

Sportbike Track Gear We sell some motorcycle stuff sometimes

Which i5, and what hard drive do you have?

Are you doing a VLOOKUP into a separate workbook or within the same workbook?

VLOOKUP with large amounts of data is definitely CPU intensive, however, if you're doing it across multiple workbooks it might be a hard drive read issue. I've made my i7-7700k cry a few times with Excel, but that's with a nested VLOOKUP against ~400,000 rows.

-Jimmy