1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maybe dumb and been asked but tire warmers.

Discussion in 'Tech' started by track wagon, Dec 22, 2018.

1. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Slicks and DOTs 45 to 60 min at 176-195f
    Rains 15 to 30 min at 104-122f

And what the hell is low and what is actually high?

2. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Obviously different for different brand warmers. What is standard 1-temp warmers? Not everyone buys digital warmers as you know.

And even when you do, how accurate are they the day you buy them.....how accurate are they after a couple years of usage. Not really an exacting science is it? They're not precision devices certified and recalibrated by the department of weights and measures.

3. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Yes, yes but this is easy and knowing your ACTUAL tire temps is the point here as high low doesn't mean shit. So regardless if you have digital warmers or not you should use a pyrometer to make sure the tires are in the correct range before you go out. Sure you don't have to do this EVERY single time, but checking your warmers with said pyrometer a few times a year is mandatory.

I can't tell you how many times over the years when someone told me they were having tire issues and I checked to find they were way off. Finally checking your tire gauge against a benchmark gauge a few times a year is also a good idea.

TurboBlew likes this.
  4. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

30 years racing and I never owned tire warmers :)

5. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

I have been using a "hand on the tire and / or rim" pyrometer for many years. Seems to work just fine for me. Note: always try to use a part of the rim / tire in the shade for this test.

Disclaimer: I am just a track day junkie (10+ years) and not a racer. YMMV.

6. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    2blueYam likes this.
  7. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

8. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Well it is good enough for me to go out and not crash. I also get good tire wear pretty much everywhere but Pitt Race where I had to run a higher pressure and change my riding style a bit and have decent tire wear now (still not great). With that said, $85 is around what I paid for my Motion Pro tire gauge, so it might be a worthwhile investment.

9. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

Really? You dont ever use them?

10. ineedanap

ineedanap Well-Known Member

Sounds like the girl that lived in the apartment next door to me in college.

She never bought cigarettes, but came over every day to smoke mine. :)

11. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

No, I did not use them. That is what warm up lap is for :)

track wagon likes this.
  12. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

In the olden days when the wheels were made from wood and tires were made from natural tree rubber (prior to 1990 or there about) warmers weren't invented yet. :crackup:

track wagon likes this.
  13. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

14. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

tire pyrometers have a small needle that goes into the rubber to check the carcass temp. heres one for $110 that im trying to convince myself to buy.
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/joe-54005

surface temp can be useful. but its more finicky because it changes a lot faster, both due to the tire warmer and ambient conditions. carcass temp reduces those potential errors.

15. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

I got one.... I used it for a weekend and then never got it out again .

16. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Careful here Robert, some where using their hands to measure temps

17. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

As a start yes to see where you're at and to comfort you that the tires are getting in the range. And even if they are 5 degrees off in accuracy knowing what the temps are is good. My whole point to all of this is that you should make tire inspection a part of your regular daily race track habit.

18. javyday

javyday Well-Known Member

I have gotten very good service from my Capit tire warmers. Only others I have used are Chickenhawk - they have not been as reliable for me

19. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

Cool, thanks for the advice.

20. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Found this at my local dealer Indian River Sports Center for 49.95

pyro .jpg