1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Truck suspension/tire advice wanted

Discussion in 'General' started by Pants Romano, Nov 1, 2018.

1. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Stabbing boots is like a last ditch effort to maybe sell a car with one that makes noise. This should not be part of regular maintenance as the grease isn't going to make it into the joint. I laugh at the guys that pump the shit out of joints and it blows out the side of the boot, what a waste. All you need is maybe two or three pumps on regular service, the rest just sits in their without doing anything at all. Same goes for guys that fill wheel hubs with grease, just makes it more of a mess to clean up next time repacking the bearings. Get the OE joints and shocks (they lasted this long right?) We don't usually get that out of aftermarket items, even the greaseable ones that come in on a regular basis that get maintained. I don't know if it's just the quality or that they are sealed better, but they last. Chassis work has gone down over the last 10 years for sure. People riding on 100k mile shocks isn't uncommon. We replace more already replaced joints than ones that are OE.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
    MELK-MAN likes this.
  2. deepsxepa

deepsxepa Hazardous

youll have a tough time proving your claim to me. especially that last sentence. but for the sake of argument, which you seem to enjoy, go ahead and try.

3. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

We still talking about trucks right?

Phl218 and badmoon692008 like this.
  4. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Well the 90's GM lower joint isn't a surprise, but you're stating your the one wearing joints out a lot? Maybe it's your technique? Putting grease in the dust boot isn't doing much, not in comparison to injecting it between the load bearing surfaces in the joint. You're giving it splash lubrication while really in needs force lubrication. I'm just saying decades of dealing with this stuff has formed my opinion, i'm not reading it off some car guy forum that has 50 guys that think they know it all. Take it how you want, I do this shit all day long and I really do replace aftermarket stuff more than OE stuff, it is what it is. Also not saying all OE stuff is superior but in a lot of cases it is.

Ps- I stayed at a Holiday inn express last night too.

5. deepsxepa

deepsxepa Hazardous

Im not exactly a novice Spitz. but Im not here to brag either so, the end.

6. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

You started it and my dad can beat up your dad. :D But really, why is it do you think you wear out joints so much?

7. deepsxepa

deepsxepa Hazardous

I was just adding my 2 cents. y'all just like to argue. lol and I dont wear them out, I dont even give them the chance. Ha!

Ive had one failure but have repaired many others, mostly imports actually.

they are (arguably lol) one of, if not the most stressed components.

8. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

i may fall into this category. 2005 excursion, bought new, didn't replace shocks till 170,00 miles. Only reason i did, was the rubber mounts on one had come apart, but all 4 shocks still had damping going on.. my 2013 F150? bought used at 42,000 miles.. rear shock was leaking badly at 50,000miles.

9. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

I’ve got these on my F-150. They are great in moderate snow, great on the beach, and they seem to be wearing like iron. They are a little louder than I expected though, downright noisy compared to the stock Pirellis.

On the shocks, I’ve noticed with anything in the bed now the rear end seems to get pretty upset over bumps. When do you replace shocks if they are not obviously blown? Never seen any fluid and they still seem to be damping but the truck just isn’t quite right I guess. I’ve searched a few places but the “which oil” threads are shorter.

10. Pants Romano

Pants Romano Well-Known Member

Been away from the computer for a few days. Thanks for the responses. I had the Michelin 10-ply tires on it the last go-round, and they ride rough, I guess due to the stiff sidewall. Won't go that route again, as I don't tow enough to justify the rough ride at all other times. The upside is that they've lasted 60K with regular rotation, so I've gotten to "enjoy" them a lot longer than I wanted. ;-) When I was at the Outer Banks recently, the tire barely sagged with 20PSI. They're that stiff.

I had a 2005 F150 that I changed the shocks at 130K. The ride difference was huge, and on the current truck, I'm going to go ahead and do it with this tire purchase, as I'll: 1) have it at the shop; 2) it's about halfway through it's useful life; and 3) I'll be doing an alignment with the new tires. Four shock online is $369, so might as well.

I'm going to call and set up an appointment for the Bilsteins and the Michelins. Thanks again for the heads up! I'll report back and let you guys know how it worked out.

11. Pants Romano

Pants Romano Well-Known Member

Here's a follow-up on the suspension and tires. Had both for about 3k miles.

The new Bilsteins 5100's are a great upgrade over the existing suspension. The adjustable fronts, set at 1.75" taller, leveled the truck out front-to-rear. Around town, eliminates wallowing. Most noticeable improvement is over rough pavement and gravel roads. Wow. In short, a great upgrade, without breaking the bank. The 5100s were priced slightly higher than OEM replacement, but well below the cost of Fox. I would put this purchase in the highly recommended column.

I ended up with Toyo Open Country A/T tires. Ride is nice, traction on soft ground much improved. Wet traction is good to very good for a tire with 65k life expectancy.

Ducti89 likes this.
  12. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Thank you for that write-up. My Cummins needs help up front with suspension. Thats on the to-do list next year.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You lifted the front that much with just the shocks? That doesn't seem possible.

14. DJ Baker

DJ Baker Well-Known Member

5100 fronts have multiple snap ring grooves for ride height adjustments. Can get close to 3 inches of lift out of some applications. Pretty good bang for the buck.

15. Chris

Chris Keepin' it old school

Shocks don't lift vehicles, unless you are referring to some sort of adjustable coilover. I've put 5100s on 4 trucks I've owned and they've never lifted the truck...because shocks don't lift trucks, springs do.

16. DJ Baker

Talking about front coilovers with adjustable spring seat heights.

17. Chris

Chris Keepin' it old school

Gotcha, sorry I thought we were talking about shocks.

18. DJ Baker

Semantics. We don't care what people call them, as long as they buy them. Bilstein isn't even pronounced right half the time in this country.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Ahhhhh - that is WAY different than just shocks. Got ya.