1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TCL - 65" Class - LED - 6 Series**Anyone own one?

Discussion in 'General' started by socal, Jan 7, 2019.

1. socal

socal Well-Known Member

2. sbkidd

sbkidd Well-Known Member

I got a 55" TCL around xmas, good so far. If you look at one next to a new OLED they're not as good, but the price is right. I went with it based on reviews.

3. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

I have the cheaper TCL 65 inch smart 4k. Got it for $498. So far it's been great.

4. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

I have a 40 inch TCL in the back room and it's very nice. I was in your shoes last week when my 60 inch old plasma 720 died. Picked up a Samsung 65 inch Smart LED 4k tv for 800 bucks. It's the 7000 series. So far it's been fantastic. I'd suggest you check them out.

5. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

6. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

the 6-series is pretty well reviewed for the most part https://www.cnet.com/reviews/tcl-55r615-2018-roku-tv-review/

The Good The affordable TCL 6 series has excellent overall image quality, with deep black levels, very good brightness, rich contrast and accurate color. Its Roku smart TV platform is the best available, with a simple interface and extensive streaming app support. The TV handles both HDR10 and Dolby Vision high dynamic range sources.

The Bad Brightness and video processing fall short of some more expensive TVs.

The Bottom Line With superb picture quality that rivals TVs costing twice as much, TCL's 6 series is the best TV value we've ever reviewed.

7. Newyork

Newyork Dip Mode

I just got the same one..7100 Series actually and I was able to trade in my broken 60” for $100 off on the spot.
    $699 after that great deal on a really nice TV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. HoyaXC07

HoyaXC07 Well-Known Member

I have a 55". Awesome TV. The Roku apps work great. Buy one.

9. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

I have a 55 and a 40 and a 43 getting delivered on Tuesday. They’re fantastic TVs for value.

10. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Problem with these TVs nowadays is its almost impossible to downsize. My current Vizio is 65 in, previous was 60 in and prior to that I think a 57. These days I'm looking in the 70-75 in range to upgrade.

Looks like TCL is unveiling their new 75 in 6-series at CES this week :D

11. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Samsung models are strange. Your 7100 is probably a J7100, while his may be a NU7000 or MU7000. Big differences in the J vs. Nu vs Mu. The number is not indicative of feature set or quality outside of its letter designation.

The J6100 is not as good as the J7100, but the MU6000 May be better than both.

BigBird likes this.
  12. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

A lot of times those designations are the sets which are sold at certain store. Like Costco will have their own model number version, Best Buy another, Walmart another etc etc

Sometimes they are more or less identical, sometimes there are small feature differences. In the case of that TCL one they said one model comes with a voice activated Wifi remote and the other just a regular IR remote.

13. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

No. I have access to all of them. A J-series is missing software and hardware features the NU and MU have. This isn’t a Best Buy vs. WalMart issue. It’s a Samsung ‘confuse the consumer’ issue. Not to say you need a MU, but there are differences.

TCL I don’t know much about other than they are a budget brand like Seiki, Westinghouse and HiSense.

BigBird likes this.
  14. socal

socal Well-Known Member

15. LossPrev

LossPrev Well-Known Member

The letters are the year designation. N was Samsungs 2018 line, M was 2017, K 2016, etc. The 2nd-4th digits are the variable for the model line for different retailers with the 7000 being the base/standard model. For instance a Best Buy special might be a 7960, 7100 or something.

16. socal

socal Well-Known Member

Local Best Buy does not have the 65" TCL on display...only LG, Samsung and Sony. Challenging to buy it sight unseen.

17. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

18. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Unless your plasma is dead why would you replace it with an LCD tv?

Yeah, 10 years old and yeah, slightly bigger but chances are that if you dialed in the plasma the picture is already much better. Plasma rules, LCD is Roll tide.

YoshiHNS and BigBird like this.
  19. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

I loved my plasma, but it was only 720P resolution it was so old. The LED 4k that replaced it is lightyears better. Cheaper to run and same size but a 5 inch bigger screen (those older TVs had some big bezels).

Does anyone even make a 4k resolution Plasma?

20. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Plasmas are dead. Too expensive to build and most people don't care enough about the performance to pay the extra. :-(